Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Jun 18, 2003.

1. I've got a Musicman Stingray and I find the sound of the G string a bit thin. Could anyone give me some ideas on how I could rectify this.
    It's got a 45 fitted already so a heavier string is probably not the answer.

I don't know if it's possible to improve it with eq or if the string height above the pickup is wrong.

I saw another thread enquiring about Stingray setup and the guy was directed to Gary Willis' site which I didn't find much help.

Don't know if anyone knows of a site that specifically deals with Stingray setups.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    4 String Stingrays are notorious for a weaker sounding G string. You have the following options that I am aware of:

1. Raise the pickup on the G string side.
    2. Get a heavier guage G, a 45 is standard, not heavy.
    3. Get a replacement pickup. I've read cases where switching to either the Duncan Basslines stingray replacement pickup and the Bartolini replacement have remedied this problem.

3. You could lower the g-string a little or raise the other strings. It also helps to pluck the g-string a little closer to the neck, than the other strings.

Hope it helps