Stingray setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Jun 18, 2003.

1. I've got a Musicman Stingray and I find the sound of the G string a bit thin. Could anyone give me some ideas on how I could rectify this.
    It's got a 45 fitted already so a heavier string is probably not the answer.

I don't know if it's possible to improve it with eq or if the string height above the pickup is wrong.

I saw another thread enquiring about Stingray setup and the guy was directed to Gary Willis' site which I didn't find much help.

Don't know if anyone knows of a site that specifically deals with Stingray setups.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    4 String Stingrays are notorious for a weaker sounding G string. You have the following options that I am aware of:

1. Raise the pickup on the G string side.
    2. Get a heavier guage G, a 45 is standard, not heavy.
    3. Get a replacement pickup. I've read cases where switching to either the Duncan Basslines stingray replacement pickup and the Bartolini replacement have remedied this problem.
  3. You could lower the g-string a little or raise the other strings. It also helps to pluck the g-string a little closer to the neck, than the other strings.

Hope it helps