Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray sound from a Jazz Pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BlackeyedBlonde, Nov 25, 2002.

1. BlackeyedBlonde

BlackeyedBlonde

Oct 24, 2002
    :rolleyes: Is there any way I can find a stingray sounding pickups that will fit a jazz route? :confused:

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I doubt it very much. However, if you are willing to 'butcher' your bass, you could enlarge the route for the bridge pup, leaving the bridge side as it is, and get a Basslines Ceramic MM pickup installed. That should get you pretty close to a Stingray sound.

3. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    There must be some stacks that come close (if you’re active or go active)?

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Your profile says "BBG4S". That's got soapbars and active electronics.
    The BBG4 (no "S") has two Jazz type pups and is passive.

:confused:

[​IMG]   [​IMG]

You could try a pair of these nutty pups from Woo-Sung Chorus...

[​IMG]

Using both may get ya' close.

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The Stingray sound is all about the pickup placement. To get close, you will need to get the exact measurement of the ray pu from the nut and then route your bass for it.

6. I took a look at their site. I have a question you may be able to answer: Seeing as how i dont need a bulk of pups FOB'd, do you know where can i get just one?

if so, do you know how much they cost/what they sound like/if they are std size/y'know, all of the usuals :)

7. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    > "The Stingray sound is all about the pickup placement. To get close, you will need to get the exact measurement of the ray pu from the nut and then route your bass for it."

Not true! This concept of sweet spots is disproved. As soon as you fret a note the "configured" “open-string” sweet spot changes. It's all about string vibration, and that's different depending on the strings, fretting, plucking, picking, etc, etc. Any pup placed close to the bridge will get similar vibrations, and in context, very much close enough. What's simply needed here is a stack designed with full-size MM voicing, and someone must offer such. And, with active electronics it should all be very achievable, to all but the most anally retentive purist.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just a heads up!!!

Alot of those Yamaha's have P pickups under those covers. They are setup like Soaps but they are often single P's in each one.

If that being the case I think a P will sound more like a MM than a Jazz pickup.

Also anything that Notduane recommends usually will be pretty powerfull. If he could run nitro thru his bass rig he would!!!! ;)

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    There are a number of things that contribute to the MM sound:

1. Pickup placement - sure there's no "sweet spot", but the pickup is where it is, and moving it anywhere else will change the sound;

2. Wide Humbucker

3. Wide-aperture - each coil sees a pretty wide width of string

The large-pole Js shown won't do it. The bridge coil, soloed, would sound like a single coil of the MM pickup - or maybe like a Sterling with the selector in "split" (though I think the J bridge pup is closer to the bridge).

Using two (in normal Jazz locations) would *definitely* sound different: the phase cancellations and reinforcements from two pickups in the Jazz location is totally different than one MM pickup.

This might be of some use:

http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Good question. You could try clickin' on "contact" and askin'
    for a catalog. Orrr...I think TB'r Allodox ordered a P replacement
    from them a while back. Maybe you could email or PM him?
    cost? - no idea :(

sound? - there are a couple items in each pup's description
    that may help. "D.C. Resistance". From the Seymour Duncan
    glossary (italics are mine)...
    Also, they have those "Tone Chart" numbers, e.g., (Low):11,(mid-low):10
    (mid-high):10, (high):11. If you're real motor-vated and have some
    kinda' spreadsheet program (I don't on this laptop :( ) you could
    use these numbers to make bar graphs (like on the DiMarzio site)
    for comparison purposes.

size? - there's a little folder tab in each pup's description -
    "Drawing" - that shows it's dimensions (in millimeters).
    These measurements seem to correlate with those listed by
    Bartolini.

11. Thanks abunch, Notduane! ill check more into it after the holidays :)!

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    tee-hee [​IMG] And here you thought those "extra" cylinders
    in the back of my B15 wuz a spare set of 6L6's.
    HA! They're ultra-mini N.O. tanks! psssst...VROOM! mwah-ha-haaa [​IMG]

yeahhh, I like them passive and hot DiMarzio type pickups.

Matter of fact, I put a set of Ultra-Jazz' (~250mV output) into a
    very similar bass and purposefully chose a lighter bridge
    replacement. Those BB series bridges are actually kinda' massive.

The bridge pup soloed is a bit "thicker" (bein' a humbucker) and has
    a nice short decay (coz of the lighter bridge). Not an MM tone, but
    a nice li'l funker.

13. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    After being informed of my untruth, ;) 1964 (year I graduated) I would like to share a website.
    http://members.aol.com/midnitrodo/ I played this bass and can tell you that 1/16" of bridge pu movement will change the voice of the instrument. Of course my ears could be lying.

14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm really diggin' the replys in this thread 'cause I'm going through the same thing right now with my Warwick ProM 5. It has that goofy double J pup.

My main basses are a Spector NS5 and NS4, and I had a Corvette FNA 5 as my backup, and the sound of the MM pup/Duncan pre in the FNA was just as meaty and as high an output as my Spectors...that bass kept up very well.

Then I got rid of the Corvette FNA and got this Streamer ProM...boy does the sound suck!!!
    I love the feel and comfort of the Streamer over the Corvette, but really disappointed in the lack of lows and mids, and had really brittle highs.
    I just installed a Duncan STC pre and it made a big difference in smoothing the sound out and adding more mid/low mids. I love it!

Now I need to look at the pickup because the double J MEC pup sucks and isn't voiced correctly for it's location...what a sad attempt at a MM sound!
    I'm going to call up Seymour Duncan and have them build me a new double J, and hopefully I can get right back to that MM type sound that my FNA had, and actually include this bass in the set list.