1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray sound issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Abovethisfire, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Abovethisfire

Abovethisfire

Sep 29, 2006
    Greetings All,
    I play a 3 EQ Musicman Stingray with active pickups. I bought it used in August and recorded with it (www.myspace.com/abovethisfire) and I've noticed recently that it doesn't have the same signature stingray sound anymore. I've changed the battery, made sure all of my cords are plugged all the way in and everything.

The only thing I haven't done is change the strings but I don't think that would make that big of a difference. Is it a wiring problem? Is this something I could pull off myself (I'm a noob when it comes to wiring and repair) or should i just take it to the local instrument repair shop.

There was one occasion where the sound did seem to just pop back on in the middle of one of my sets but that hasn't happened again.

I play in a pretty high energy band but I'm not really being abusive with the bass, I just jump around a bunch.

2. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Australia
    >>>...There was one occasion where the sound did seem to just pop back on in the middle of one of my sets but that hasn't happened again.

Seems like the battery's not making propper contact with the terminals inside the battery housing.

9 volt batteries look the same but actually vary as to physical dimensions.

Try a Duracell brand

3. Abovethisfire

Abovethisfire

Sep 29, 2006
    so changing the battery would bring the stingray sound back ?

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    If you have a so/so battery in there right now, you'll hear the difference definitely.
    Other than that, you may have a lose wire/bad connection somewhere but the battery is a cheap and easy place to start.
    Try new strings too while you're at it

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The quirk with Stingray's battery compartments is that 9V batteries aren't a standard size, and some fit better than others. Duracells tend to be a perfect fit. If you're using a no-name brand, it may or may not be making proper contact as it should, and replacing it with a different battery might do the trick. $4 test that's cheaper than taking it to a shop.

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    CHANGE THE STRINGS! I've owned 30+ basses over the last 15 years and by far the most string-sensitive bass of them alll were my 'Rays. That bright, aggressive tone will fade as the string begin to age. A new set of steels on that baby and you will be amazed!

7. I actually re-wired the 9v connector to be a more direct connection thing - like the old days when you actually had to push your little 9v posts into their little 9v cups.

I soldered a standard 9v connection and decided from now on I am not going to count on such a passive connection after going through lots of hassel due to the wires disconnecting from that quick-change thing.

[​IMG]

8. i find that with my active basses (jag,2 yamaha BBG5A) if the battery doesnt sit tight, wrap electrical tape/gaffer tape (whichever is easiest) round the battery it keeps it snug in the box but still has contact with electrical points

9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If your battery is not making proper contact, the active Stingray preamp will not be working. Turning the Treble, Mid, and Bass knobs will make no difference in your sound if there is a battery problem. The volume knob will still function.

Check to see if your preamp is working...

10. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I had this same issue with my SR4, and I can say from experience that not all Duracells fit right either. I bough a new two-pack, but neither was making contact. I ended up using a new Energizer, Titanium I think - Problem Solved.

The connection mod shown above may be a good idea to avoid this whole ordeal in the future.

I almost sent mine in to EB for repairs 'cause I thought it was the preamp, got as far as getting the call number to put on the box - before boxing it, I decided to dig-out my old battery from the trash to try one last thing... and I'm glad I did.

11. This is right on the money - 100%.

12. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    +1, mine LOVES new strings.

13. Abovethisfire

Abovethisfire

Sep 29, 2006
    i changed the strings and put an energizer in. the new strings sounded better but i think there is a wiring problem because it still doesnt not have the definitive stingray sound again.