1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray sound issues- please help!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raybass77, May 20, 2011.

1. :help:Yes, I suffer from the "weak G", but I also have booming "B's".

It doesn't matter whether I play a B on the 7th fret E string, or 2nd fret on A, there is this awful booming, bassy sort of "woof" sound.

It seems not matter what I do with eq, I can't fix either of these.
    The bass is all original, so was wondering if swapping out pickup or pre may help.

Bass is a 97 4H, all original. I run through a GK 1001 rb2 with RBX 410cab.

What have you guys done to fix it?

I think I'll buy a Warwick :hyper: , that'll fix it ;)

2. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Adjust your pick up height. Raise up the treble side and lower the bass side.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Pickup height 1+

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I suggest you raise the treble side of the pickup and lower the bass side.

5. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    I used a larger G string (50 instead of 45) and a smaller B (125) on a bass that had this same woe, then tweaked the pickup height and angle. Nice n even now

6. Anytime I thought my g was lacking,i just boosTed some bass and mids in

7. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    a change in technique can help a great deal. Play the g string closer to the neck while the B string close to the bridge

8. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Thats really weird :confused:

I understand the G string thing, thats part of the Stingray deal. But if the B notes (on different parts of the fretboard) is booming that is weird.

Have you tried playing with a different rig or placing your amp somewhere else? That can happen because of resonance in a room.

9. Thanks for the tips. I'll try the pickup thing.
    I should mention all eq's are set to 12 o'clock, I run a mild compression and use a GK rig.
    I have used an SWR and had the same prob.
    I'm sick of the sound guy yelling at me!!!!

Keep the tips coming!!!!!!!!

10. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Try losing the compression and see how it sounds.

11. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Before I modded out my SR5 I had similar problems. Modding it isn't going to change the problems (I modded it because of personal preference for me), but a change in setup and technique is definitely going to.

I agree that switching to a smaller B string is the way to go (I also use a .125 B). Angling the pickup away from the B string and closer to the G string will also help. Also, if you tend to pluck the B string with the meatier part of your finger and just glide the tip of your finger across the G string (this is sounding raunchy...) you might try plucking both with the same kind of attack. Also, you can use the method described above with G closer to neck and B closer to bridge.

12. Thanks for the tips, but it's not a 5 string guys!!!!
    I'm talking about fretted B's, not open strings.
    My bass is a 97 4H all original.

13. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    Funny i had almost the exact setup as you except i was runnin an 700rb-II. I got rid or the 410 RBX. It was too boomy for my tastes. But If you like the stingray tone/feel ect definately worth checkin out the sterling Ray34

14. What cab did you switch to?

15. it's called the itchy keyboard finger syndrome... the need to respond before reading the actual message on a forum. Quite common :bag:

16. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    I switched to an Ampeg 810. Our band plays rock/metal in C tuning and I just wasnt getting the clarity or tight focused low end that I needed from the RBX. The Ampeg cleared that right up. I would imagine Ampegs 410hlf would do the trick as well. It ampegs are a tweeterless cab though so expect your overall tone to change a bit.....for the better;) it did mine!

Edit: forgot to add that i thought the RBX was great for funk,blues,motown ect. so it wasnt a bad cab per say, but there are much better options when it comes to playing low tuned,faster paced music. And if it ends up being problems with the musicman and you are looking for a replacement you GOTTA try the Ray34. Its so dope.

17. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    you got it in your initial post... get a different bass :D after using a musicman, I went passive... that's much better ;)

but definitely do what people said:
    * set your amp flat (and compression off, etc...) and move it around the room, even try different rooms!
    * when you do so, play with the SR's EQ too!
    * and also while trying all these, adjust your technique
    * if none of this works, adjust pickup height and action
    * last, try different strings (and get a proper setup by a pro)
    * ultimate, do get a different bass if you don't solve it :D maybe just a different SR...

18. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    The fretted notes booming sounds like "wolf notes", which are the opposite of dead spots...no cure for that, save selling the bass.

As for all this talk of playing one string a different way to other strings, you shouldn't have to do that. Thats crazy stuff. Particularly when you wouldn't ahve to do it on other basses.

The weak G string thing can be helped a little by putting a metal washer on the pole piece to widen it and make it higher, but I found its only a small difference. Again, you shouldn't have to do that.

I sold my Stingray anfter trying a number of different things to cure the quiet G string. Adjusting pikcup height didn't work, as I believe its a design flaw in the pickups themselves. BUt it took me a long while to accept that, because I liked the tone, and didn't want to believe it would never be right.

A girl singer in band I was playing with saying to me " Why do you play quiter as you go higher" convinced me to get rid of the bass, and that cured it ok!

:)

19. So do you think changing to a seymour or something may help?

20. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    Maybe, but it will sound less like a Stingray.
    Plus it won't cure those wolf notes.