1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray Special HH vs. Sandberg TM/VM vs. G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Stingray Special HH

52.9%
  2. Sandberg VM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sandberg TM

11.8%
  4. G&L L-2000 ("jazz" 6/8 neck)

35.3%
  1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I may be in the market soon for one of the above choices. My budget would be around $2k and the bass needs to be a 4-string. Up front, I enjoy the sounds achieved by all of these basses. They all share similar traits as well. Primarily active, 2-pickup basses, with loads of versatility. This makes my decision very difficult.

One X factor is that I have never seen a Sandberg in person and therefore have never played one. I know they get fantastic reviews from their owners so that would be my one "faith" pick. One other con with the Sandberg is that a custom order would take around 10 months which means I would be scouring For Sale posts and current dealer inventories (so may be a bit limited on finish choices, though I am not too picky overall).

Today I found a new Stingray Special locally that I tried (for the first time) and really enjoyed. Construction felt as good as any bass I have tried in the past and the ergonomics/weight were fantastic. The Stingrays are a little more limited in total options compared to a Sandberg though.

Several months ago I played a USA L-2000 at a local shop as well. Really enjoyed that bass though I remember it being a little heavy. Couple other cons include limited availability of finishes (unless custom ordered; not sure on their turnaround times compared to Sandberg) and they are harder to resell (though I dont worry about this too much).

What I'm hoping to find are first hand experiences from people that have owned at least 2 and hopefully all 3 of the choices above. How would you compare these choices from a perspective of construction and fit/finish? Versatility of sounds?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Jeff Haislip

Jeff Haislip

Sep 2, 2009
    I really enjoy G&L basses. I have been a fan for many years. Check out their color choices because they have many. Also, you can order with a lighter wood choice (Empress). I have the L2500 (5 string) and have always been impressed with the many tones available. I think their fit and finish is first class as well. Check out Rocket Music's website. Happy hunting!!!

MascisMan and bdgotoh like this.
  3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I love my L2000s, the tones and the feel and balance are just right for me.

I didn't like the Sandberg I had at all - blah tone and it didn't fit me very well. It wasn't awful but I don't see myself ever bothering in the future.

I really wanted to like the new Stingray Special but I like the HH Sterling (USA) so much better - the tone is meatier and the neck feels much better to me.

So I would recommend you add a Sterling HH to that list.

MascisMan likes this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Stingray Special HH. Lots of different tones .

MascisMan and HD007 like this.
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Man, I wish the shop that has the L-2000 was the same shop that had the Stingray. They are about 25 miles away from each other. Kind of hard to A/B....may just have to make a day of it!

6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I think Im down to the L-2000 or Stingray Special. For me, the Sandberg is too much of a leap of faith I think.

7. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    What did you end up choosing? Wondering how they compared...