1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray Special: Ridiculously Good!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

In the past, I owned Stingrays and I always loved the sound. These new Stingray Specials take them to the point they are head shoulders of any production bass I have ever played. The video above was cut short by a phone call, but seriously, this bass is put together and responds better than any factory bass I have ever handled.

I added a few videos that recorded after choir rehearsal and doing Father stuff.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I know !! Preaching to the choir here. I tried one and returned a Fender Elite Jazz 5 and ordered a Stingray5 Special HH. It does the Jazz , Stingray, Sabre, and P thing quite well. Plus some other useable tones.

IMHO other factory is building at the quality of Ernie Ball right now.
    Like you’ve said yourself .... boutique quality . My Stingray Special and Caprice are worth every penny. The necks are fabulous.

wmmj, bdplaid, HD007 and 2 others like this.
  3. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Maybe it’s just me but I’d at some point like the good @Dr. Cheese to start a thread about the basses he doesn’t like. :thumbsup:

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’m eagerly awaiting your video review once you encounter a 5HH. I already know the string spacing isn’t ideal for you but I think you will find everything else quite pleasing .

HD007 likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Yep. It’s just you .:smug:
    Remember the mods won’t allow it.

Mr_O'B and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Calling a bass ugly is not allowed. Posting a video about a bass with a negative opinion about the feel, quality or sound is perfectly fine.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Talking about Basses I don’ t like simply opens up a can of worms with the people that do like them.

8. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Understandable. I was just hoping for a more Consumer Reports type thread than Bass Player mag gear review.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a YouTube channel. If my following gets big enough, I may write more detailed reviews there.

10. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I don’t need another bass, but If I did a MM would be a welcome addition! drooldrooldrool

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had an HH when they were new. It was an incredibly good sounding bass that weighed about 12 pounds.

12. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Another choir member here.

Still marveling at the Special’s overall quality, ergonomics, and wealth of sounds some six months on.

13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    These new Specials are much lighter . I have yet to see a 5 over 10lbs

Pbassmanca, Dr. Cheese and bdplaid like this.
  14. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I'm currently battling with buying one of these, a Caprice, or a new jazz bass. Once I get this binding issue squared away on my 4003 it'll be out trying to lure a trade to narrow down which two I'm gonna have to buy

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Pbassmanca and HD007 like this.
  15. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    As you can see from my avatar, my suggestion is by the Special5 HH id you need a 5 and buy a Caprice if you want a nice passive 4 that can do a great P and a great Jazz .

Pbassmanca and HD007 like this.
  16. thumbs&fingers

thumbs&fingers Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Illinois
    They are good, as posted on the ebmm SR special thread. I never cared for previous models................ended up with two of these specials.

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    It was voted bass of the year ....... I’m just saying. I don’t say it often but in this case, yes, believe the hype!!

18. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I'm not a big 5er guy. I have a five with a high C opposed to a low E. Been toying with the idea of another with a low B but will probably go with something in the lower range. Id want one of these in 4HH copper dropper roasted maple.....and the Caprice well they're just so rad for a passive bass. Played one at the EBMM tent at warped tour and it was heaven

Your 5 is gorgeous.

Edit: I'm not a good minimalist....

Pbassmanca, HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  19. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It's still the best instrument I have played or owned.

20. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I have a 4HH and love it. Also not a Stingray fan, of those with single pickups. It always sounded like a pre-amped bridge pickup to me, not enough "oomph." But the new Specials are indeed that. It's all different yet the same, and all better. The quality is off the charts for a production bass. And my 4HH is 8 lbs. :)