1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray/Status??? Should i do it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 26, 2007.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Seriously considering fitting a status neck to my stingray. Is their anyone out there who could post a sound sample of what this would sound like before i go ahead and do it??

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Sorry, no sound sample, but maybe we could be more helpful if you told us why you are considering swapping the neck for a graphite one.

I personally wouldn't do that unless I'd experience very bad issues with my current neck.

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    I play quite a bit of outdoor gigs etc so would like a neck that would not shift as much as wood. I have heard of lots of people doing the Graphite thing would love to hear it :)

4. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Bushwood Caddy Day: 1:00 to 1:15 Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I think ErnieBall made a Stingray with a Status neck in 2000 or 2001 for NAMM. I believe there were only 100 produced. They show up on ebay every once in a while.
    I think this may be it:
    [​IMG]

5. Yeah, PM me and I'll send you some (don't know how to post sound clips :meh: ).

FWIW, if you're thinking of changing the neck purely for "tonal purposes", you'd better have a good ear ;) ! The main benefits of the graphite neck (IME), are in the stability, the playablitiy and the comfort.

Here's a little slideshow of the bass in question, in case you're interested:

th_40cc4d7f.gif

If you can't load that for any reason, here's a "before" and an "after" pic:

121-2167_IMG.jpg
    139-3936_IMG-1.jpg

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Music Man produced 2 models with graphite necks (I believe made by Modulus, at the time) called Cutlass I and Cutlass II. The Cutlass I was essentially a Stingray with a graphite neck.

7. etaym

etaym Gold Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Newton, MA
    I own a MM 100th NAMM Stingray (the one with the Status neck) and I say - go for it! I love this bass. Compared to my previous SR (RW fretboard) and my SR5HH the sound from this bass sounds even more "modern" and punchy.

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    IMHO graphite "adds" snap too (by not removing those frequencies) plus they are rock solid. I say go for it (5 status basses have not proved me wrong)

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    If it's for stability against environmental changes then it'd be worth it. My Status neck never moves and the quality of their product is excellent.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Go for it, the new neck will be a lot more stable.

Afterwards, you'll probably be gasing for a true Status!

11. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i have a graphite neck on a jazz bass, its great and really solid

i say go for it!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021