Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray/Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chinglish, Oct 1, 2003.

1. chinglish

chinglish

Jul 15, 2003
    HI
    Sorry if this was posted before, but what are the basic differences between a Musicman Stingray and Sterling? Thanks!

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Sterling has a slimmer neck and a smaller body. It also has a switch that the Stingray does not. Stingrays are better! :D :bassist:

3. yeah, I noticed they were really different, but does there exist a sterling with only 4 strings?

4. All Sterlings are 4-strings, although lots of people (including myself) think that the StingRay5 has been misnamed. It should have been called the Sterling5, since they share the same electronics and some other features.

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The biggest difference between the two is in the neck. I have both, but the Stingray's neck makes my hands hurt. My 99 Sterling fits my hand like glove. Also, the tap switch gives some tonal variety the Ray lacks. Get a Sterling!

6. Stingrays seem to have a chunkier tone than the Sterling. Sterlings are more versatile bacause of the 3 way switch. The necks are very different. The differences can be likened to the differences between a Precision's neck, and that of a Jazz bass.

Precision = Stingray
    Jazz bass = Sterling

Play both before you buy. They're both excellent basses.

I have a Stingray.

Mike

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a sterling..the body is smaller..but everyone knows that the there is a sterling 4 and 5 and a sting ray 4.....;)

steve

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I wish they made a TRUE Sterling 5, with the same neck profile and body shape etc.. I've been toying with the idea of getting an Stingray 5 Fretless but I'm not sure if I'd like the neck.

But I love my Sterling. The neck is the most comfortable I've ever played, and IMO the action is insanely low, and I've never thought that about any other bass I've owned.

9. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    are the necks on a stingray5 closer to a sterling, or a stingray neck?

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think they are the same as a Stingray neck.

11. Don't forget that the pickups are different materials between Sterling/Stingray.

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    No !the SR5 has a real chunky neck.

13. I disagree. Try a Fender JazzV. That is a chunky neck!

The neck on the SR5 might be chunkier than some others, though. It's rounded profile is not the most comfortable for me. But it's not the thickest neck I've seen.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Will you people stop calling my Stingray 5 a sterling! It borrows the pick-up selector from the sterling, but that's all. The rest of the bass, including neck, is Stingray through and through.

Maybe we should call it a Sterlray 5? Or a Stingling 5?

15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    damn..when are the new stingling ray 5s comin out?

:)

steve

16. I vote for Stinling! :D

Sounds cool. :cool:

Mike

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The Stingray 5 was around for YEARS and YEARS before the Sterling. The 'Ray 5 borrowed NOTHING from the Sterling, but quite the opposite - the Sterling borrowed a lot of its features from the Stingray 5 . . .

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Bah! Get a stingray! :eek: :D

19. My friend! :D

Mike

20. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I'm actually playing an Active Fender Jazz V for now so I can give my MTD 635 a rest and I absolutely love the radius on the fretboard more so than the SR5.