Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

StingRay / Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by only4him012, Nov 29, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    StingRay/ Sterling
    what's your opinions?
    sound, feel, construction, anything, feel free to inform some people, me,

2. I like the Sting Ray more. It's got more balls in its sound. I'm not saying the Sterling doesn't, but the Sting Ray is hung like a horse. I don't like the feel of the Sterling much either, it's too small and stick-like.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I also like the Stingray more.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    had em both
    love em both
    would take either over most other basses

Get an SR5, it is both basses and an extra String.

5. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I think the only difference is the size of the body and neck profile. The Ray is more PBass size neck, and the Sterling has the jazz taper to it. Both good sounding punchy basses, but I prefer the G&L L1500 and Climax series. Much more aggressive and raw sounding with a better price tag.

6. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    any more comments?

7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I like the sting ray a lot more. It has alot mor epunch and bottom end to it. I find the sterling to be a smooth jazz-like sound. The feels are totally different. The stingray has a neck very similar to that of a pbass, the body on the stingray is also bigger. The sterling has more of a jazz bass neck. I like the feel of the sterling better, but the sound of the stingray.

8. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    snaggletooth hit the nail on the head. While I will refrain from making phallic analogies, the stingray is is unbridled brute tone, think of the sterling as that brute but wearing a leisure 20 years later after having retired from body building. Ahem.

9. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    Just comparing Sterling and Singray, i prefer stingray

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Actually, the pickup's are also different & the Sterling has a 3 way switch for doing different things that I can't remember off hand. LOL. I think it's 1)humbucker, 2)front coil w/phantom coil & 3)back coil w/phantom. The Ray had a humbucking pickup & the Sterling (& Ray 5) have a 3 coil pickup. The 3rd coil is a phanton pickup so when you split the coil, you don't get the 60's cycle hum.

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Nino is right with the exception of the three position switch:
    1-both coils in parallel
    2-single coil with phantom coil to avoid hum
    3-both coils in series

The preamp is design in order to have the three settings matching volume levels.

The StingRay pickup uses alnico while the Sterling and SR5 uses ceramic magnets.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

12. I prefer the Sterling, I simply like it more.. basically due to the slimmer neck, more of a jazz feel. The switching options are also nice. Try them both out if possible and feel for yourself.

13. I have a Stingray, and love it. The sound and feel are awesome, just can't decide if I want a Stingray 5 or a Lakland Skyline 55-02! Choices, choices.

jtbp

14. They are both great basses. Since I could only afford one, it was a 'Ray. The tone is so perfect IMHO. I have yet to try a G&l. I'm starting to get interested. Will someone hold my wallet for me? :cool:

Wow. I just thought; my 'Ray will be a year old this coming Sunday.

Time flies.

Mike J.

15. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    btw...wich bass do u prefer the most?
    stingray vs. lakland 44-02

want to know your opinions

16. Two months ago I got a new StingRay; my bass teacher recommended it. Now, the more I play it, the more I like it. I like it better than my P-bass or my Aria Pro 2.
    I've never tried a Sterling, but I'm sure they have their good points too.