Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Thumbrest

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thrasher717, Jan 28, 2004.

1. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I usually rest my thumb on the pickup, but I find I prefer the sound when I play closer to the neck. I'm thinking about installing a thumbrest.

Anyone else put a thumbrest on a Stingray?

Should I just get one of those plastic ones made for P-Bass?

Would this be considered sacrilege? Am I going to be made fun of by other TBers?

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Its sacriledge and you WILL be burned at the stake for it..

Just kidding..I used to have the same problem way back when..I say, if thats what you need and want to do, go for it!

Maybe, instead of drilling holes for the thumbrest, use some automotive grade double stick tape in case you ever change your mind

I mean, come on, a Jazz bass has a thumbrest on the bottom :confused:

3. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota

That's a good idea -- two-sided tape. I didn't think of that. What's the deal with the thumbrest on the bottom? How useful could that be?

4. It was a FINGER rest... the original idea was to pluck the strings with your thumb and/or pick.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I dunno how useful the double stick tape will be- I just installed a thumbrest on my P-Bass and there's a lot of hand pressure/weight put on those buggers. I would say that drilling would be your best bet. The upside to that is your position is over the pickguard. So, at the very worst, if you are vehemently against leaving any signs of the thumbrest, all you have to do is replace the pickguard. But since you're pretty sure you want one, I think you'll find drilling the two little holes to be a good tradeoff.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Here's a nice idea I saw once, looked MUCH better than mounting a "standard" plastic thumbrest:

It was a thin block of ebony wood, and it ran all the way flush with the pickup edge to the neck. About half the width of a standard thumbrest. Appeared to be glued on the pickguard. It flowed with the neck line really well. Worst case scenario, you can unglue it, perhaps have to replace the pickguard if you're a perfectionist and want to restore it completely.

7. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    The double sided tape could work if you get the 3M stuff. Its just not cheap..

It may be a better idea to just put a couple of holes in and if you change your mind later, change the pickguard..

You can get the good 3m stuff at AutoZone or wherever if you decide to give it a try..Its like 5 bucks for a little roll..Its the green stuff with the red backing..I'm using it now to hold a european license frame on my car, and let me tell you, its not going anywhere!

That ebony trick sounds interesting..Any pics of it? (Curiousity killed the cat)