1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stingray tone problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Feast, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    hey guys.

Ive got a stingray 4 and it just doesnt ever sound like I want it lately.

when I used it in the store, It was the most amazing sound ever and now, after 8 months, I am yet to have been able to find good tone with it.

its going through an ampeg 410 and a gk BL600.

could it be my strings also? I have EB powerslinkys

I dont think that im doing something right with the eqing or something, please help!!

could this be a battery problem?, I dont know how long it was in the store, but Ive had it about 8 months

Im positive that nothing is broken, considering I baby it and it doesnt even have one scratch.

also when I slap, it doesnt cut through too well. I boost lows and highs, but something still feels like its missing, It might be my own mediocre slapping abilities though:meh:

2. pj4553

pj4553

Mar 11, 2007
    have you tried a new battery?

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    That thing that's missing, the thing that will help you cut through the mix, that thing is called mids.

Boosting low frequencies too much will quickly suck up all of your power.

Also, try changing the battery. :)

4. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    Change the battery, then maybe try a different set of strings.

5. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    When was the last time you put on new strings?

6. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    2 months or so for the strings, and Ill change the battery, I just didnt think it could have been that because its not even like a year old.

and with slap, I dont cut the mids, i just keep it flat on my bass and the treble and low goes up, should I boost more of hi and mid and cut low?

7. fishsome

fishsome Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    Totally the strings imho. Try a brighter type of strings. I like DR when it comes to slap and bite. But whatever you do don't get rid of the bass! :)

8. Fresh strings and battery should solve the problem. I had some issues with mys Stingray5, these were the issues.

9. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I would bet you've grow tired of the strings.
    I recently got really bored of the flats I had on my Fretless 30th Anniversary. I love them on my Fretted SR5 HH, but after being on the fretless for 6 months they were so dull and dead, that I honestly couldn't EQ the bass to sound active.
    So on went some elixers, booyah! Exactly what it needed, more sparkle.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey man,

I had the same problem, for some reason my Ray sounded sweet at the store through a Roland Cube 100, then when I got it home it sounds pretty average through my Ashdown combo. For me it's just finding the right amp setup. Oh and for some reason, worn in Ray's play better. :p

11. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I find with my ray, to get the sound that works best for me, is to start by leaving the EQ flat. Then turn up the gain and the volume until you can feel the ammount of low end you want in the room,

(leave a little room on the gain so you can boost mids and lows when needed)

Anyway, once your at flat, but you can FEEL the low end, then use your eq on the bass. Remember it is very powerful, a little goes a long way and its usually better to do a slight cut of what you dont want rather than a slight boost of what you do.

But anyway, i find this works really well, because there are some points in songs where it needs to cut like a knife and other where i need to lay down a cushion of low end goodness. If my On board bass is pretty much flat most of the time, when i need to move bowls, i have a lot of room to do so.

btw what amp are you using, in what sort of band, and what sort of sound are you after??

Damo

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The battery will only last a few months. I usually get 3 months or so out of mine. Same with strings. Try a set of Stainless...they are very bright. I recommend DR lo-riders...they feel the best out of all the stainless strings.

New strings and EQing will go a long way. I usually leave my amp flat...boosting the mids just a hair. Then I leave the on board EQ flat...boosting the lows just a hair. It sounds totally kick ass. It works for every sound I want to get...as long as it has that Stingray bite!

13. Is it a 2- or 3-band Stingray? If it's the 2-band, they lose a lot of mids when you boost the bass and treble, so it's usually a good idea to leave the EQ on the bass as close to flat as you can stand. With everything boosted, it's all click and boom - very little actual note there.

I sympathise though... I had a Stingray years ago, and just couldn't get it to sound good in the mix of the band I was in at the time, so it had to go. :(

14. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I would try a battery first , cheap and easy.

from the Ernie Ball MM bass FAQ

http://www.ernieball.com/faq_content.php?subjectcode=mm_basses

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    the battery is on while the bass is plugged in, yes? so if you leave your bass plugged in when you're not playing it the battery will drain a lot faster.

16. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    well, Im using a Gk Backline 600 through an ampeg svt410hlf.

my band plays our original material which the influences are

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Led Zeppelin
    The Strokes
    Jimi Hendrix
    Keane

including other similar artists of those types.

what Im looking for is a fat, yet tight (not boomy) low end, yet I also like the way Flea and Nickolai's (the Strokes) tone cuts through, yet is not over the top. and I do not like the clanginess of turning up my tweeter/treble.

One really close example to my dream tone is on a red hot chili peppers song, Apache Rose Peacock. If anyone out there could help me find that tone, or has found it themself, I would love help.

I changed the battery, but I am hesitant about strings because my on the last pair I had, DR black beauties, the g string broke in about 3 weeks, and not Ive got 3 black strings just laying around, and my job at the moment is just bagging at the grocery store which makes money an issue. (gimme a break im only 16)

oh yeah, and its the 30th anniversary ray with a 3 band eq.

17. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    The strings that brought the life back to my Ray 5 were the MTDs. Full (not boomy) punchy and bright

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I was thinking battery too but if you've just changed it then that leaves strings and that one other frustration; over familiarization, otherwise known as 'the end of the honeymoon'.

Since you've already got the Black Beauties you might as well just buy a replacement 'g' for them.

19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    So you were able to get a nice expensive bass but can't afford strings? Rough!!!

The tightest strings that I have ever used are DR lo riders SS. I have them on all of my basses (3 Stingrays), and they sound fantastic! Very tight and punchy. Not boomy at all. I suggest that you try them out when you can.

20. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Another +1 to the SS Lo Riders. I have them on my Jazz and I love them. I have SS Fat beams on my P-bass and I don't like them nearly as much. The point I'm trying to make is that string qualities vary greatly even within the same manufacturer. Just because your Black Beauties suck to you, the Lo Riders might be what the doctor ordered. Besides, they're $20 bucks at GC.