Stingray Tone Switch Position

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pkeeg, Sep 24, 2000.

1. I have a Stingray 5 and what ever position I have the tone switch in, it sounds great but what's your thoughts and opinions. What position do you prefer? (IE for fingers or pick) or whatever.

[Edited by pkeeg on 09-25-2000 at 12:50 AM]
  2. The one closest to the neck works for me most of the time (fingerplay). But I have a Sterling, but the switch is the same though. :)
  3. toms

Aug 22, 2000
    The neck position gives me that fat humbucker tone that cuts through. On most material, from country to rock it sounds great. For busy finger work, the neck and middle position thins it out a bit. I tend to get more highs and lows with less mids the bridge position. This bass sounds great in any position, however I use the humbucker(series) position most of the time.

If your rig sounds like a carefully executed wont get the gig.
  4. Yeah, what they said.

The bridge position provides a cool tone if you're playing alone, and is a great slapping or tapping. Like when I "attempt" to play any of that Victor Wooten solo stuff I use this setting.

Otherwise, in a loud rock band situation the series (closest to neck) is almost mandatory if you want to be heard, fingerstyle or pick.

I haven't found a use for the hum cancelling (middle) position yet, as the bass has no hum!

5. Well if the humcancelling coil would be out of order I guess we could tell pretty easy in the single coil middle mode :) Great feature with a switch anyway .
  6. DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    I know this thread is extremely old but just ran across it and thought i'd clear up the mid position confusion,.... Its actually the "single coil" mode but it uses the other coil and a filter of sorts to cancel out the single coil hum that is often present when running a bass with single coils. This position sounds great on the new 2012 sr5 basses. I use it all the time!