Stingray tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeddyFlea1974, Sep 8, 2009.

1. GeddyFlea1974

GeddyFlea1974

Feb 11, 2007
    Alabama
    I don't know if it's just me, but for some reason my Stingray seems... incapable of getting that classic Stingray fingerstyle and slap tone. It's a 3-band EQ, natural ash/maple, and I just put some 40-100 DR Hi Beams on it, as well as a new battery. I'm playing it through a Markbass CMD102P and 115HF, if knowing the amp helps. My tonal reference is Aeroplane by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Cliche, I know, but I'm desperate for getting my Ray to sound something like that. Any help is appreciated!

2. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    do you have the markbass eq settings at 12 oclock? i was always told to keep them at 12 to give the "natural" sound of your bass.

3. GeddyFlea1974

GeddyFlea1974

Feb 11, 2007
    Alabama
    Yeah, I've had everything at 12 o'clock, both filters off, for a long time, and just started experimenting with the preamp on the bass and the preamp on the Markbass. I'm starting to wonder if it's my string or pickup height...

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Boost bass, roll off the treble, and experiment with the mids slightly in either direction. Should be able to acheive it - Flea's tone is a typical scooped-EQ tone. Maybe try experimenting with slapping and finger plucking closer to the neck.

5. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Aeroplane wasn't played on a Stingray - it was an Alembic. If that's the case, your Stingray is never gonna sound like that, I'm afraid!

Just listening to the track again now - the bass sound has a certain Stingray-ish bite to it, but seems a bit 'hi-fi' to me - not 'clanky' enough for a Stingray? As I said, I could be wrong, though. I'm sure some Peppers fans out there will be able to put me right, if necessary!

K.
    www.myspace.com/karlclews

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    +1

Let the strings age a few weeks.

I have never had anything but trouble boosting the treble on my Ray. Always cut, always cut. :)

7. KPAX

KPAX Inactive

Mar 22, 2005
    Which part of Aeroplane?
    The rubbery choruses or the slappy/poppy verses?
    In either case, play HARD and make those strings twang and buzz.

8. Not sure what Flea played on the recording but the YouTube video of RHCP performing that tune on Letterman, he's playing a Ray.

9. cabrego

cabrego

Jan 21, 2007
    I think I remember reading an old bass player interview where he says he recorded that song on a 70's jazz bass.

10. I find that with my SR5, I get classic Stingray tone without trying. I just leave my EQ flat for fingerstyle, and unfortunately I'm a lame slapper, so I couldn't tell you how to EQ for slap.

11. Exactly my feelings about my SR. I do have maple/maple though. I have TI Flats on it now and sometimes there is still too much treble. I can't believe I used steel strings on that bass for such a long time... Nickel D'Addario's are great for on it for versatility.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021