stingray truss rod wheel?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Mar 31, 2004.

1. How does the stingray truss rod wheel work, and which way do i turn it. It looks to me that you can turn it left or right, but what tool do i need and how do i go about doing it. I need to fix a slight bow in the neck. Thanks
  2. Assuming this is a standard right-handed, 4 string bass, turning the wheel towards the G string tightens the truss rod, turning it towards the E string loosens the rod.
  3. Thanks, any special tool needed, and how easy should the wheel turn? It doesnt seam to want to move right now, im using a small screwdriver, its all i have that will fit.
  4. I use an allen wrench. I don't know the size, I have a foldable allen wrench set (best to get one anyway in case you wanna change up your saddle height) and find the right size for the wheel hole.
  5. thanks for the help, ill get my hands on a allen wrench set asap
  6. I cant get my hands on any allen wrenched right now, but im usign a screw driver and the wheel doesnt wanna move at all. Did yours have this problem?
  7. snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    dude, I'd highly suggest that you stop trying with a screwdriver - you may strip the wheel and then you're really in a pickle. Just go down to a local hardware store and pick up an allen set. If that's not possible right now, don't do anything until it is.
  8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    In my experience it doesn't really matter what tool you use to put in the truss adjustment wheel of an EB Stingray as long as it gives you the necessary leverage, it won't bend, and it fits the hole. I always used a small Phillips screwdriver on the '92 StingRay 4 I had and it worked just fine.

That said, don't force the wheel if it doesn't want to turn--get it checked by a pro. If you got the bass used, somebody may have messed the rod up. If it's new, you don't want to void the warranty by forcing it. If you get it to move, go slow--an 1/8th turn at a time--and give it some time to settle in before turning it more.
  9. An allen wrench set is the swiss army knife of bass players.
  10. ill get some tomorrow, i think it might just be that the screwdriver is a little small. The guy in the guitar shop said the bass was used, but it looked like it hadnt even been touched.
  11. well, i got an allen wrench and i turned the wheel. im starting to get results now, just gotta let it sit for a few hours and adjust more tomorrow. Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it greatly.
  12. My birdseye SR necks require regular/seasonal truss rod adjustments (w/an allen wrench). Do not turn more than 1/4 turn (either way). Also be sure to tune-up afterwards & allow time for adjustment - I let mine hang overnight.