Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray V SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buzzbass, Dec 16, 2003.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I played one @ GC last night and it felt pretty good. Didn't plug it in. My preconcieved notion is that I don't like the way Stingrays sound period. I had a 3 band 4 string that I hated and got rid of, because of that glass breaking tone. too bad, it was a beautiful bass and played soooo nice. Anyway, do any of you have one. How does it sound, really. I'm a bottom end freak. This one has a 2 band EQ and an oval style pick guard, like the 4s. I think that's cool. Am I wasting my time, is this thing going to be super grindy. I'm looking to cave in people's chests more so than shatter their eardrums. @ $750, it seemed like a nice bass for the money. Are they American made ?

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've played two. Unfortunatly, I didn't like the sound of either one of them. Much thinner than a stingray, none of the body and boom that makes a stingray a stingray.

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
  4. Tubass, do they sound more like Jazz basses, then?

Mike

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    its just like people who compare stingrays and sterlings, they are different basses. Just cuz they look the same doesnt mean they sound the same. On their own SUB's are great basses. They are american made passive basses. They do have an active option but i think they funcion better as passive basses. They carry behind them everything Ernie Ball and musicman has done for itself over the years. They dont sound like a stingray though. Get one if you want a good bass in that pricerange, but dont expect to save money on a stingray.

6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i like the positive input hyperlitem! but do any have a sound sample of a S.U.B. bass?

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm not a jazz bass fan, but I wouldn't say that. For having the same electronics of the regular stingray, I expected to sound more like the real thing. most of the 4 string SUBs I've played have been nice, but the 5 strings have been bad to terrible.
    I just found it thin and unappealing. It's a shame because I really wanted to fall in love with it. I guess i need to just get a regular used SR5.

8. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    a passive sub isn't going to sound like a stingray at all, why dont you go back and plug it in and see what you think? I do belive they are american made.

9. well, i played an active sub, and i loved it, but it just aint the same as the real stuff:)

10. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    ya, i just rocked my stingray for a bit after reading this thread and i love it sooo frickin much..

ash/maple stingray 3eq + d'addario slowounds + sansamp rbi = perfect (for me)

there may be something out there more perfect for me, but this is doin me great right now!

11. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I have the active SUB and it *will* sound thin/bright if you don't handle the eq properly. I was playing it first through a GK Backline 2x10 and frankly I hated it. Then I plugged it into a GK Backline 115 and fell in love, especially when I realized I could mediate that brightness easily. This bass does require you to work your right hand creatively to get different tones from it. If you're used to getting everything you want simply by tweeking your eq on the bass, forget it. This bass is oldskool! It isn't hard to get a superfat tone from this bass, big n' dubby, either. Midrange growl, no worries. Is it a Stingray? No. It sure does sound to me very similar though, but if I'd wanted a Stingray I woulda bought one. I think I got a tone machine in its own right without having to pay for the Stingray mystique and legacy.