Stingray vs Jazz Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russjm, Feb 5, 2005.

1. I spent a couple of hours trying some basses yesterday, one of which was a 3EQ Stingray. At first I thought it was nice, 'till I plugged in a Fender Jazz Deluxe, now that was beautiful. It looked, played and sounded awsome, and to be honest, it ran rings around the Stingray in every department, not only my opinion, both of the guys who worked in the shop agreed.

The Jazz had a much wider range of tones, from big and warm, to bright and punchy, and it was so much easier to play.

A lot of people don't like Fender basses, but I'll tell you what, that jazz is by far the best bass I ever tried.
  2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I own both of these basses in five-string version. I'll have to agree with your tonal comments. The Jazz Deluxe is far more versatile than the 'Ray in the sounds department. Then again, it's been said before that the Sting Ray is a one-trick pony and you'll get no argument from me. But it's very, very good at that trick. Lotsa people love it; sometimes only that sound will do.

But I really like the way the SR plays, especially in the 5-string. What is it about the way the 'Ray plays that you don't like? The 5-er is narrowly spaced, but I really like that. For me, it's quite comfortable and hig on my list of favorite necks

3. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    The 'Ray has a phatter neck unlike the Jazz Bass, which most people find slower. The Sterling has a more J-like neck and the Bongo is inbetweeny apparently.

A lot of people don't like Fenders? Huh? ;)
  4. I don't know what it was about it, maybe the action was higher on the 'ray and it just needed a setup, maybe I'm being harsh, but the jazz just played itself. For a start the jazz was a rosewood fretboard, which I guess I prefer, the 'ray was maple, but even the pots seemed a bit sticky on the 'ray, maybe the build quality was a bit suspect.

Also the strings seemed to be stiffer and harder to bend, the jazz was easy. When tapping and popping (albeit not to a high standard in my case :meh: ), the jazz had a really nice woody kind of tone, whereas the 'ray was harsh and thinner sounding, maybe that's the Stingray sound? I don't know.
  5. Ha ha, yeah, I seem to come across a lot of people who dislike fender, don't know why, because whenever I'm out looking at new gear, after trying all the different makes of guitar, I always end up standing back in front of the Fender stand, they just do it for me. I love that classic shape, and the ergonomics are just perfect for me, I just love the simplicity of my Precision.

By the way fireaarro, are you a rugby league fan, I enjoyed watching the Leeds Rhinos become world club champs last night :smug:
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I too have tried to own a stingray but every time I try one I can never dial all the sounds I would want from it. I think ray's were awesome in the 80's for slap and pop but have sorta faded from the scene with all but die hard ray users giving up on them. I have tried to mellow out the ray but it just didn't sound right to me, maybe the pup placement has something to do with it. It's a great bass just not for me. Now as far as the MIA DLX jazz it's all there, the feel the pups (new ones get samarium pups) the sound and tonal variation.
  7. Actually, quite funny, the other night i aso was checkingout basses and ended up with the stingray(my dream bass i am saving for)(*cough* i am a starving college kid) and the jazz as the two i was deciding which one i liked better. THo the jazz was better sounding when i was playing some chords and stuff, the stingray, i dunno i could just feel the power of it! Maybe i am just a power freak, but i would go for the stingray handsdown, but i would go for the jazz as an easy second. I think it is all for personal preference with any bass.
  8. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think they aren't comparable. After years of owning a Stingray 5 as my main tool I found that it is perfect for what it is meant to be (groovie stuff like funk, soul, etc.), but needed a 2 pickup bass for certain things. I found myself having to tweak too much in order to make it sound ok live. Its sound is not that moldable. Bought a couple of Fernandes Gravity V basses and now I have found my live tools. You can find your sound easily anywhere and with any gear with a 2 pickup bass. On the other hand, I keep the Stingray mainly for studio work (absolutely unbeatable). A couple of months ago I recorded an EP with my rock-metal band and there are far superior results in the songs I recorded with the Stingray (a more present low end, doesn't get eaten even by the heaviest guitars). So, get any of them and, when you save enough money, get the other! :) Good luck!

9. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would have to go with th jazz deluxe on this one!! In my oppinion iit just has an all around bettter sound and is definately more versatile. It is also an easier base to play on I founnnd it more comforatable when moving up and down the neck and like someone had already said "strings where easier to bend"
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's funny you should mention soul and funk music because that is mainly what I play, I play alot of other styles but those two are my favorite. Now I can say in the last three years that I have returned to playing I have only seen two funk or soul bassist using a ray and I go out alot and personnally know a boatload of bassplayers. I also have a friend that collects old fenders and MM basses, He on the other hand is a rock bassist. while I think MM basses are great basses I think they have more limitations than most basses because of their aggressive tone.
  11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I prefer the American Deluxe Jazz to a Stingray. For me. it's easier to play, has more tones, and looks awesome. I've played lots of Rays; they're really nice but I have never quite felt the need to buy one.
  12. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Unless you want the 'Ray for its 1 sound, and will never use another sound, get the Deluxe. It's a great overall bass. Of course, I own one so I'm way biased. It's awesome!