Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray vs. lakland 44-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mangle, Dec 2, 2002.

1. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    I m interested in both, they are in the same price range (I think so) so...
    wich one do u prefer? why?
    thanx

2. myro255

myro255

Apr 13, 2007
    Given the choice, i would pick the 44-01. I just played a stingray for the first time yesterday at the guitar center and i found it hard to get a tone that i wanted. I had very high expectations that the Stingray in its various series (HH, HS, or classic H) couldn't hold a candle to a well set up fender P.

now, on the other hand the Lakland I had picked up was instantly playable. 44-01 HS sounded amazing and the neck was less buzzy and just over all was a much nicer instrument. Also the tone was so versatile, a flip of the selector switch gave me tons of bottom, then flick it back for a treble bite.

I think with the Stingray you're paying alot for the brand, IMO the 44-01 is alot better value for the money. :bassist:

3. myro255

myro255

Apr 13, 2007
    Ps, my first thought when i picked up the music man was "is this thing REALLY $1,200?" Nothing about it jumped out as 'quality' to me. but once again, this is just my opinion

4. i think you meant 44-02 there is no 44-01hs, the 01 has two humbuckers.

and between the stingray and the lakland, it really depends what your after, both are great basses.

the lakland has a much more comfy neck and body.thae lakland is also very versitile.

5. myro255

myro255

Apr 13, 2007

yes the 44-02, thanks for the correction. long night :oops:

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I am not sure what bass the original poster means. The 44-01 is way below the price of a Stingray so the 44-02 makes more sense.

Between the two you need to play both and see which one you like. While the Lakland has a stingray style pickup in the right spot it does not give the same tone. If it's a stingray tone you want than IMO there is only one way to get it and that is with a Stingray (or possibly a Sterling by Music Man SB bass when that comes out).

Otherwise the 44-02 is a great bass. I love the neck on them and it has a bit more tonal variations than a standard Stingray. But like I said earlier it does not get that classic Stingray sound.

7. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    there's a big weight difference too, I find MM basses as a rule very heavy and Lakland average to light weigh.

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I guess I'm the first to notice the OP is from December 2002.:D

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    With respect, I would have to say that your average Guitar Center experience has a minimal relationship to real-world bass playing events. The variables are mind-boggling. String age, time in store, maintenance and setup, amps/cabs used, and level of sonic interference from overly boisterious teenagers demo-ing Ibanez guitars at jet-engine noise levels.

The original poster should already be aware that what he's going to get in this thread is a display of personal bias. Many people find a P bass to be their Holy Grail, and I certainly don't think they're wrong. It's what they prefer, it works for them, who am I to say they should try something else?

But that doesn't mean a P bass or a Stingray or a Dingwall or whatever is right for me. I tend to avoid statements like, "X bass couldn't hold a candle to Y bass", because I know someone out there is using X bass and loves it and it works quite well for them. I can tell you what "I" prefer and why, but I can't say with any amount of certainty that it's also what "YOU" are going to prefer. How could I know that?

There are differences between a Lakland Skyline 44-01 and a Music Man Stingray. String spacing, type of pickup(s), finish options, country of origin, fret size, fingerboard radius, tuners, truss rod access.....quite a list, considering. My questions for the OP would focus on those, although my first question is: have you played both? And if you have, did you have a chance to try them in a real-world situation?

I've owned Laklands, both Skylines and US versions, and some of them were fine examples of bass guitars. Some I didn't care for much for my own reasons, which may or may not be relevant to anyone else.

Of course, I'm a Music Man guy, so I'd always choose a Stingray over a Skyline. That doesn't in any way mean that YOU should do the same.

My 55-02 was heavy, over ten pounds.

I have a Stingray 5 that's right at nine pounds.

Is this evidence that all Laklands are heavier than all Stingrays?

Anecdotal information is exactly what it is, in both cases.

Jack

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Christ, how and why do these things get dragged up from the depths?

Disregard my willingness to engage!

Jack

11. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Yeah, even if the OP meant an 02 instead of an 01... still completely different animals compared to a SR.

It's like asking "Should I get a pickup truck or a boat?"

12. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    [QUOTE=bovinehost

My 55-02 was heavy, over ten pounds.

I have a Stingray 5 that's right at nine pounds.

:meh:
    I'm not doubting you but having owned a 78 Stingray in 1978 and playing others through the years and owning two 55-02s and two 55-01s in the past as well I find that quite unusual. Stingrays rock to be sure but aren't know for there light weight.

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I'm not saying Stingays are lighter than Laklands, nor am I saying the opposite.

That's what makes me the internet genius I am!

14. Balkan

Balkan

Aug 8, 2005
    New York, NY
    7 years later on, OP has ditched both the Lakland and a Ray copy for a G&L Tribute Sb2.

15. Lakland.One word.....Versatility.
    Stingray.One word.....Limited....But in a good way.

Boils down to whatever you like best.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    He's taken up the didgeridoo.

17. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Is this a Lakland vs a pre-1995 Stingray or vs a post-1995 Stingray?

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Excellent point, as "everyone" knows the Big Changes took place during 1995!

19. why is that anyway? who went looking for a thread this old?
    where are we? who brought us here?..sry,started to ramble

20. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    the sound is in your own hands!