Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray vs. lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lateralus_84, Jun 26, 2003.

1. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Ok, I'm having a dilemma and I was wondering if some of you could help me out.

I have the money for a stingray, but I noticed that the lakland skyline 44-02 deluxe is around the same price (is it less or more than a stingray in stores?).

I really want a bass that has some growl and cut since I play in a metal band. Right now I am borrowing a fender jazz from a friend as a temporary until I get my own, and I honestly can't stand fenders.

My question is.... Is the lakland skyline worth buying if I have the money for a stingray? Does it have the same bite that the stingray has? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

thanks in advance,

lateralus_84

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned both, well, a stringray 4 and a 55-02.

In my opinion, the ray has that real distinctive cutting sound but the Lakland is more versatile. You get good growl from the MM pup, and you can blend in the neck J for more warmth.

3. I think you'd get the best of both worlds with the Lakland.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Since I like to rest my thumb on the neck pickup when I play, my choice would be the 44-02. The Stingray's only pickup is too close to the bridge for me. But aside from my own personal quirks, you really can't go wrong with the 44-02 - nice Bartolini electronics, great neck, awesome playability, and a cool look. Lakland vote here.

5. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Thanks for the input. Anyone else have any opinions about the two?

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I like stingray's. i don't like Laklands, i couldn't get a sound i liked out of them. They just don't sound right to me. IMHO.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Ray all the way baby. If you really like the Stingray sound then you have to get a Stingray. Nothing else sounds like a Stingray. Alot of basses with an MM pup sound close but not exactly.

8. It comes down to testing IMO. Both are fantastic instruments, but you have to decide what sound you like better. I suggest you look into testing both or at least look for sound clips.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You should try both for your tastes. I have owned both (stingray (2 of them) and a 44-02). The 44-02 is a very "polite" sounding bass and doesn't have the grunt of the ray. Probably due to the Bart pickups. I didn't like the tone of the lakland (or the '88 ray I had) so I sold them. But I love the tone of the '78 pre-EB ray I have now.

-KB

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a couple Stingray 5's and a 55-02, the Stingrays sound like.....well Stingrays, and thats good. But I think the 55-02 is a more versitile instrument....more tone options, and it plays great! If I had to choose, it would be the 55-02!

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

werd
    :bassist:

12. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I bought my fourth (not all at once...over 30 years) stingray 5 recently and owned a couple 4s. Owned a Lakland 5594...actually 3 of them...again over a period of time.

I try to get dialed in to room with one tone...hopefully the same if not close to the same every room. I think the stingray's "one tone" frankly, is "better" and more distinctive than a Lakland's. If you play a ton of different rooms and venues and that's why you need "versatility", I really think the SR 5 has plenty enough adjustability. If you're looking for a bass that can mimick many different other basses, the Lakland is a far better choice.

Frankly, I don't have time to be adjusting my tone to sound like different basses song to song. Therefore, I'd go with the SR5 because I feel it's "base" tone is much more solid, grunting, and distinctive than any of my Lakland's ever were.

From a personal preference standpoint, I've never heard Bartolini p/u's I've liked when combined with my fingers/style/speakers/head etc.

They may work fine for thousands of others and obviously do. I seem to do better with more proprietary pickups and preamps like MusicMan, G&L, and now F Bass.

The one negative I can say about my SR5's is they are heavy mother f's. My BN5 F Bass has to be a couple of pounds lighter. It also cost 3 times more!!! I use my Stinray as a backup and for rehearsals.

LKaye

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    again i say word

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Agreed. On my 55-02 the versatility is easy to get at. I use 4 basic settings; the three soloed MM positions (front/both/back coils) and both pickups on, both coils on bridge. That's a panpot and/or a flick of a switch away;)

15. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Let me specify something else... My band has a rhythm and a lead guitar, both distorted most of the time, and an insane drummer(he's awesome, but one crazy bastard). Which of these two basses would be able to be heard the best through the two guitars?

16. I have a Lakland 55-02 and love it. it is a lot more versatile than the stingray but both of them have great tones. the stingray is a classic and the lakland has some more modern touches to it. the lakland has a little more growl to it with the J pup and bartolini electronics. both basses would serve you great. I play in a heavy band and don't have any problems being heard. and a bunch of heavey metal guys use stingrays. eather bass would do you good. you should try and play them both sometime. I perfer the Lakland and that's why I bought it. but go with what you like best. you won't have a problem cutting through with eather.

17. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I own a '94 StingRay and a '02 Lakland 4-94 Std. (the USA model in which the 44-02 is based). Both basses are natural ash/maple.

My Lakland can get very agressive and she cuts like a knife through a heavy mix. As Brad said, multiple tones are available with the flick of a switch or turning the panpot knob.

Try them both, but yo can't go wrong either way.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

P.S. I have to add that my Lakland has Duncan Alnico pickups, I used to own another one with the Barts and the tone was too mild for my tastes. Now I can get warm tones but I can "bite" if I want to.

18. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    :mad: Go Rex Brown style and get the Musicman String Ray. :mad:

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Uk Bass Guitar Magazine had a 4 way shoot out between 5 strings and they included a Lakland 55-02 and a stingray 5 string. It seems the Lakland won in virtually every category and I bought a deluxe 55-02 recently which, to me is a far better bass than any of the Stingray 5s that I've tried.

20. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

ISn't he a big Spector user these days???