1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray vs Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Road-Dog, May 10, 2010.

1. I have been a Precision player for a long time,and have never played a MusicMan,but have heard alot of good things about them. Could anyone fill me in on the differences? Playability,sound, necks profiles,etc.
    I see them for sale here alot and I am in the market for another bass and wondering if these would fit me. I play primarily Blues and Americana and some country.Any info would be appreciated.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

They are two of my favorite basses, and I've owned a number of each in the decades I've been playing. Playability is very close IME. There are two big reasons why a Ray and a P-bass can sound very different: first, the Ray is active and a vanilla P-basses are passive, and second, the Ray humbucker is wired in parallel while the P-bass pickup is wired in series. Both of those reasons together account for the fact that a Ray can sound scooped when compared with a P-bass. I don't mean that as a negative: the P-bass is all about the mids, while the Ray has strong highs and lows.

The Ray also has a touch more punch/growl due to the pickup being slightly closer to the bridge, but that's less significant than the factors mentioned above.

Again, I think they're both great basses, and wouldn't hesitate to use either for any kind of music. I've seen plenty of blues/country players with Stingrays, 4 or 5 string.

3. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    check out a mia deluxe p if you like the p bass but want a little variation in tone, although the new ones have a j at the bridge instead of a hb.

4. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I think the most important things that will tell you what to do are only things you can answer.

1.) Do you have the money?
    2.) Do you find it playable/comfortable?
    3.) Do you like the sound?

If all these three things are a "yes", then what anyone else's experience or "consensus" that can be gleaned from the responses means little. If any one of these things is a "no", then again, anyone else's experience or a consensus means little.

Enjoy your time checking out these instruments.

5. I'm very much a Precision Bass player, but I sometimes use a Stringray 4. In fact, I have two: an old 2-band EQ model and a newer 3-band. For some reason, IMO, the 2-band seems to have more balls than the 3-band, which is quite "zingy" to my ear. Maybe somebody can explain why that may be. Or maybe I'm simply nuts.
    In any case, I can tell you Music Man basses are very well-made, with great playability. You may want to compare a 3-band to one of the new, 2-band classic models and see which floats your boat. And don't snub the Sterling, which has a down-sized body and more of a Jazz-style neck but is perhaps more versatile than the 'Ray.

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've owned a bunch of P's, but only one 'Ray (although I've played quite a few). I agree with Pet Sounds in that I tend to like the 2-band 'Rays better than the 3-band.

They're both (P's and 'Rays) great. For comfort, I prefer the P's over the single pup 'Rays. But that's just me. I like to anchor my thumb on the P's pup when I'm playing the E string. (I "float" when playing the other strings). I generally prefer the tone better when playing a bit closer to the neck, which is perfect when playing a P. But the single pup on the 'Ray is back closer to the bridge, so I guess that's why I prefer the P's.

I know that probably sounds nit-picky to a lot of people, but that's just my personal comfort factor. But I've gotta' say that I've had my eye on a 2-band 'Ray at my local G.C. that sounds absolutely killer. If I was stinkin' rich, I'd snag it. But it's overpriced, and I'd rather buy used.

Play both and see which you prefer.

7. Both are my fav. basses really, especially with flats. After playing a bunch of basses especially over the last 2 years, I've just found that P basses and MM basses are the best thing ever made (for me). It all comes down to what you prefer.