Stingray VS Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adz2795, Oct 23, 2005.

1. My search for a 5 string stingray still goes on. I can't seem to locate a used one to get sent out to Australia. But what I did come across was a Euro active Spector 5 string Lefty, which I also happen to like (of course I prefer a Spector American bolt on lefty 5 if I could find one used, but I don't I would find one).

So what I was wondering was peoples opinions on which they would choose and why?

Whether I should dive into a spector or hang on for a stingray?

I play mainly commercial (edgy) type rock and I'll be playing it through an old Ampeg SVT2 and a Lab systems 6x10 (Australian made bass speaker box)
    Thanks for your help.
  2. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Two very different tones...but imho, i would go for the spector. Of course im biased (own an active euro 4 lx). While the Stingray will have that, well, Stingray sound due to the pickup placement, the Spectors EMGs have great versatilty, and a great sound. Also, having played the Euro 5, the B string is nice and tight with a nice, deep tone.
    This is all my opinion.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've owned both, a USA Bolt On Spector 5 and a pair of SR4's and frankly, I found the Stingray tone much more versatile. Both have good low B's, but the SR5 is a 34" scale and the Spectors are 35", some people cant feel it but I know I could.

All my opinion of course, but I'd hold out for an SR5.
  4. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area

I've owned StingRays since 1977. I also owned a euro spector. There is a big difference in the sound and feel. I prefer the Stingray feel (I never could get down with that curved Spector body, though the neck was awesome with a fast feel). Sound wise, they are quite different as well. Good, but different. You can get a lot of sounds out of the Spector, though I found the Aguilar preamp was too hot for my Ashdown (didn't take much to overdrive the amp so the gain needed to be waaaaaay low). I really liked the Spector sound, but then again I like EMG's. I also like the MM sound. Out of the 20 or so basses I have owned in my life, the one constant has been a StingRay. Overall, in any application, it has worked for me better than anything else.

The Euro's are beautifully crafted and the differences between the USA and Czech models are almost negligible. The neck through Euros also balance better than the USA bolt ons, which tend to be slightly neck heavy.

With regard to 5 strings, I have played both MM 5's and Spector 5's. Again, totally different vibe from each. I found the Spector 5's to balance better than the MM 5's. Also, Spector 5s are 35 inch scale, while MM 5 is 34 inch scale. So, if balance and scale length are important to you, I might go with the Spector.
  5. I should be biased as I own a Spector Euro 5 and its definitelt MY bass but having a look at your profile I think you should stick with the EB - mostly due to the feel.I've owned Fenders and EB's and I prefer the feel of the Spector.Love the sound of the EMG plus Aguilar pre.Having said that you will get the sound you want from the EB and it will feel like your Fenders.
    The only thing negative I'll have to say is that I found the Stingray 5 to be a tad neck divey.
    My 2 cents worth.
  6. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Commercial, edgy type rock..... through an SVT...

Sounds like you need the Spector to compliment that rig. Spector & Ampeg are perfect for each other :)
  7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    interesting, when i hear commercial edgy rock through and svt i think a stingray. I consider spectors more of an 80s type bass. I have a spector ns2 and a stingray. They are completely different basses. In a rock band id always pick the stingray though. I use the spector personally more for jazz and funk type stuff.
  8. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    the stingray is no match for the spector.
  9. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    True. The most jaw dropping bass tone I ever got was with a Spector and SVT.
  10. Yeah guys - I agree.Spector + Ampeg = Monster rock tones but you could still get those tones (however different) with a Stingray and I think the Stingray would compliment what he already has.I love Spectors but I must admit they feel very different from a Stingray.