Stingray vs. Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Apr 19, 2004.

1. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Do they utilize the same humbucking pup? Also Im assuming the "series" selection on the Sterling would be indentical sounding to the Stingray?
  2. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    Nope. They pickups are different designs and use different magnets. The Sterling pickup is a triple coil pickup as well...The sounds are similar but not the same...
  3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hmmm interesting...Ive heard the G string on both SR's and Sterlings can be pretty weak. True?
  4. I own a Stingray, and before I bought it, I A/Bed about 15 Stingrays and Sterlings side by side over about 4 months. They do sound similar, but I think you'll be able to tell the difference right away. The Stingray's tone is a little thicker and crunchier sounding, the Sterling gets those two extra sounds due to its coil switch.

If at all possible, play both basses side by side the day you're going to buy one. That's the best way to judge them. (naturally)

Mike ;)
  5. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    The Stingray also has a wider (P-bass) style neck where the Sterling has a thinner (Jazz bass) neck. I had a stringray for a few days before I took it back and got my sterling and I thought they sounded pretty close to the same, but the thinner neck was easier for me to play. I have small hands!