Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray vs. Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Hi. I'm just curious about the differences between the Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray and the Sterling.

I know the equipment differences, ie:

Stingray's body weighs a bit more
    Sterling has 3-way switch for pu coil series/parallel/
    single coil
    Sterling has _stock_ 3-band EQ
    One has a "ferrite" pu, while the other has some other
    kind (alnico?)

But what are the sound differences? There must be some sound advantage to the Stingray, or it seems to me that everyone would just buy the lighter, more versatile Sterling. . .

2. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    The neck (series) position on the Sterling does a great Ray impersonation. However, the Ray sounds a tad fatter to my ears probably due to its higher mass. They really play differently. More people probably prefer the size and heft of a Ray.

I own a Sterling and I would rather play it than eat, but I love Rays too.

-1/2note

3. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I own a Sterling, but I'm sorry now that I didn't get a Ray instead. I don't like the wimpy Sterling body. I bought the Sterling because I figured that it would offer more sound variations. However, you often end up using only one setting, anyway (the same happened with my Ibanez SR 1500).

4. Well, I'm getting a used Sterling in the mail today; I guess I'll judge it against my 5-string G&L L-1505 (which is basically G&L's Stingray 5 bass), and keep whichever one I like better.

Then I'll post my impressions.

5. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I guess a bass body is "wimpy" if smaller than a Ray...I'll take your word for it I guess. I use all three toggle positions just about equally in my music. Although I agree that I use the series mode predominately when playing with manly rock bands...

6. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    The Sterling's body feels wimpy compared to any "classic" style body, including the J, the P, Lakland, etc. Unfortunately, it took some time and buying the Sterling to find out that small body basses are not for me. I think it's an important issue to settle before deciding on a bass.

7. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I believe the Sterling neck is a J-style, and the Sting is P-style...I love Jazz necks so really preferred the Sterling, plus it's added coil selections. All academic since I switched to 5 string...

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i got my sterling about 3 years before i got my warwick. and i STILL play it (of course, it's fretless now!) i've ALWAYS felt more comfortable on sterlings that rays.

yeah, get this...a P bass neck or a stingray neck feel too big to me, but my warwick feels just right. oh well...

jason