Stingray vs. SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thomas85, Jun 2, 2004.

1. thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    whats the difference with these 2 all i can make out is that one has 2 band and ones has 3 band EQ is there anyhting else...?
  2. You can get a 2 and a 3 band active Stingreay, while you can get a 2 band active or a passive SUB
    I thought the sub's were made of another kind of wood, and you don't get many options concerning the finish with the SUB. There have been many threads concerning sUB vs. Stingray, I suggest you do a search and you will probably find all the info you need
  3. thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    i tought so, thanks
  4. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    [whispers]psssssst...... use the search.
  5. I tried the SUB bass the other day along with a few stingrays. The SUB kicked big time, better than most of the "real" ones. Ive been told that musicman are like fender with consistancy, some are crap and some are great...
  6. ive heard the opposite about their quality control, although maybe it has gotten worse since then
  7. and don't focus on the 3-band active model, of all the 3-band actie ones I've tryd, none of them sounded as good as my 2-band EQ SR (although I have to say I haven't played that many SR's, not like I play a diffirent one every week)
    My stingray is built in 1998, and has been in a stock for about 5 years, untill I got it last year. I heard the year of production has to do with the quality, but actually, I can't confirm, or denie it.
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    The person who told you that was full of doo-doo.

You may have heard wrong.
  9. boo

Oct 12, 2002
    Bovine, I think i bought one of you're former basses :hyper:

10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a SUB 5 and love it. Some will say save the extra bucks and get a Stingray. Maybe you should...I don't know...just depends on what you want / what's important looks or tone. I know I love my SUB 5 and IMO it totally gets the SR tone. (notice I said IMO) The body wood is Poplar which is similar in tone to Alder and I believe "most" of the SR's put out these days have ash bodies. The 2 band eq is effective and you can get many variations of the SR tone with it. Some SR owners will tell you they can hear a difference between SUB's tone and SR. I can't. You may be able to. It's basically just an SR on the case, textured paint job, 2 band eq only, painted neck and headstock and a REALLY UGLY PICKGUARD! I took mine pickguard off as soon as it arrived. Just a flat black SUB that looks pretty rock-n-roll and has the tone to back up it's looks. I'll be doing some recording with my band at the end of june so I'll try to post some clips of the SUB then.
  11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I've gigged with 2 different SUB a few times, they was horrible, though I love the way all the stingrays i've played sound. MM should get rid of their painted necks for the sub and that stupid offset diamond plate pickguard.
  12. I agree so much there! the only colour that looks ok is that red one, and the black headstock, nah :scowl:

Having said that, it would't look so bad with a black pickguard... :eyebrow:
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Biggest differences:-

* The sub has an "industrial" looking finish.
    * It also has a painted neck.
    * It's also missing the cuttout at the back where I rest my fat stomach :).
    * The EQ knobs do not have a centre dent.
    * The pick guard.
    * The price.

If I ever need a backup to my Stingray 5, I'd get a Sub. I thought they sounded the same, though I do use my mid control on my ray.