Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Vs Warwick??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SeedyBloke, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Hi all. I was wondering if anyone with a bit of bass know-how would give a bit of thier personal preference over the Ernie Ball Stingray and Warwick basses over a similar price range.

I've started thinking about getting one of the above for my 21st birthday. I've only just turned 20 but am already spending sleepless nights thinking about owning one!

I love playing funky lines and also jazz style stuff. My main influences are Flea who to my knowledge comes from the Stingray school of bass ( or at least did) and Stuart Zender from Jamiroquai ( ex jamiroquai! ) who plays a Warwick ( Streamer 2 series i think ).

I've played loads of Stingrays and various Warwicks like the Thumb bass and the Jazzman and I love em all!!
    Please help! :confused:

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Being a flash get (hope you feel at home with the pronounciation) I have both.

Heres my take on the basses. Please note that you the player are in charge and most basses can cover most bases.

Stingray/Sterling (I have a Stingray 5) will do the funk and rock thing very well. Detracters call em a one trick pony. I find the 3 band eq and the switching options on the Sterling and ray 5 useful for multi role duties. It will do jazz but it needs tweaking.

Thumb Dolphin I have a bolton Thumb 4 fretless (my mate has a Dolphin 2) I really like Warwick basses and have plays loads except the Streamer (ironic as its the popular model). These basses will cover all styles easily. The models with the J pups seem to be the most versatile. They do not cut as much as the MM basses.

I find that these basses complement each other. The Warwicks have the edge on playability and the MMs have the edge on sound (if you want that in your face grunt).

Buying one? Its your call. Play a load into the same amp and dont let anyone rush you. I have never been to Liverpool so dont know any of the shops. If you can get to a Basscentre then go any play everything into a flat amp.

Happy hunting.

All of the above is personal opinion get your own

Edit-just noticed that you came from Wolverhimpton and Ive never been there either but my uncle has been a Wolves fan for 30 years!

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm, let's see:

Stingray vs

Streamer Standard
    Corvette Standard
    Corvette ProLine
    Corvette FNA
    Corvette FNA Jazzman
    Thumb Bolt-on
    Streamer LX
    Streamer Jazzman
    Streamer Stage I
    Thumb
    Streamer Stage II
    Dolphin Pro I
    Infinity LTD 2000
    Alien
    Fortress
    Fortress Masterman
    Streamer Pro M

I don't know what price range the Stingray is, but all the warwicks I've played have totally different feel and tone. I like the FNA Jazzman, but I'm stuck playing a Thumb for life. Once I got used to the neck, other basses feel like toys.

4. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Zulu,
    I get the impression that you've played a stingray and a jazzman. The idea of the jazzman intrigues me, as I currently use a ray and a fender jazz. Can it compete with the two?

5. The FNA jazzman 5-string... :eek:

the holy bass, send down by the lord himself..

[​IMG]

we worship thee !

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The one that I played recently was at www.guitar-villa.com
    It was tobacco burst.

There is no way in the world I would compare the tone to a fender or a ray. It was very bright and lively. The tone controls gave tons of variety but overall, its sound would be described as hi-fi. I'm not fond of the feel or look. Not at all "The Sound of Wood" that you would expect.

Great sounding bass though.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I wouldn't go that far!!!

[​IMG]

8. ya- they need to make 17 models to compet with stingrays 3. Haha

I grew up on fenders so warwicks feel wierd to me. the necks feel like 2x4's. The tone doesn't fit well in a mix to my ears. But I do LOVE a fretless I played- it had jazz pickups, the neck felt better and the tone was very stand up like.

9. If you would have asked me this before I got my Martin Acoustic bass, I would have said Stingray, becuase the Warwick necks were too thick. Now that I've played my Martin (which has a thicker neck than even the Warwicks do), I'd have to definatly go with Warwick.... I just love that deep Warwick tone.

10. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have a Streamer coming soon, so I'll be able to compare it to my Stingrays!!
    Doc

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm waiting for the Spector vs. Warwick thread. ;)

Back to the topic: I'd own a 5-string of each flavor if they made the necks a little wider. :(

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Dude you have here two great basses! It would have been better if you said hey a warwick or a ibanez! So now its up to you man! You got the right idea so just go from there.1

13. Being an owner of a Warwick Streamer LX 5 i would say "get a Warwick". Plus I am prejudiced against Stingray's after asking a guy in ashop which was better, we then argued and he said i was rubbish on bass. Ah well. Stingray's are all right I suppose.

sim

14. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Stingrays are great, I've havent played many warwicks though...

15. Cheers guys for your help. It's gonna be hard to choose but your replies have made me think about what i should be looking for in a bass.

After posting the original question i think it's a bit unfair to put the stingray all on its own against every Warwick in the range!! The thing is that i love the overall look and feel of all warwicks. If i decide to buy a warwick its gonna be even harder to choose which model to buy! I'm a very indecisive person!!

BTW CS I bet your uncle is a happy man at the mo as Wolves are doing v-well. About time too!