stingray vs WarwickThumbBolt-on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamesM, Aug 12, 2004.

1. hey there, i hav an old 80's musicman stingray and hav been considering swaping over to a warwick Thumb bolt-on. Any advice.
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Good question.
    if you really dig the Thumb's tone (I assume you have already tried some of them, havent you?) and dont like the MM, then sell it (dont swap! I think its worth more even over there) and buy a used Thumb.
    Be warned, though: the Thumb's tone will not sound good with every kind of music; its made of very dense woods, so its a bit on the heavy side and it will only stay at angles between 0 and 30 degrees (more than that and it will dive back to this position)
  3. my mate bought one(thumb) a few months back, and i couldn't stop playin it. I wish i could have both. Mayb i should steal it.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Indeed. My NT doesn't dive so to speak, but it does insist on staying where it wants to. And, if you have the MEC 3 band, you can make the thumb sound good for everything :p
  5. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well both are good quality basses in regards to construction and although each bass does indeed have a unique voice, you should be able to use either bass in many situations. I think what it would come down to is playability and comfort. Trying both basses (sitting, standing w/ strap), which one really allows you to play without any trouble or comfort issues, which neck feels best in your hands. Basically which one doesn't inhibit your playing style.

I agree with others that you would fetch a better price by selling outright than trading.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a warwick, and i have a musicman. my warwick sits on a stand near my bed, my musicman comes out with me to every single gig.

i'd suggest playing one for while before getting rid of the MM. you MAY like it better (i don't know, i'm not you), but the neck is waaay different, the feel is waaaaay different, and the sound is waaaay different. i've also recently realized that the warwick hurts my wrist after a while. it's a narrow but thick neck which felt nice to me in the beginning, but had it's toll in time.
  7. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
  8. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i have a thumb bo and i love it to death. joe is right about the wristthing, mine hurts too sometimes, you really have to 'work' with the neck. the neckdiving is a bit of a problem. a good strap solves this for a great deal (except when ur sweating). musicman basses are worth their weight in gold over here so i'd never sell or swap it. i never really liked the sound of a mm, although i never played one for a longer time. u can get a lot of different sounds from a thumb on board if u know what i mean, everything i need is about 5 cm away from the strings. maybe u can persuade your local musicshop to loan u one for a rehearsal.
  9. cheers for the good advice guys, i'l probably stick with the stingray for now.
  10. zoran

May 10, 2002
    +1. You have to choose between totaly different axes, but I said if you prefer sound of warwick get it and never look back.