Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray w/ bartolini mmk pickup & ntbt preamp..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, yesterday I received my Bartolini MMK pickup and gave it a shot in my stingray.. This is a treble enhanced version of the MMC version and string balance, clarity and deepness were immediately apparent.. Even volumes on all strings and up and down the neck as well.. But the stock stingray preamp left a little to be desired w/ this pickup.. So I had a spare Bartolini NTBT 2 band preamp laying around and decided to give that a shot. I wired it so there's just a volume knob and a stacked bass/treble boost & cut.. I moved the output jack for that preamp to the top as well (Still an extra hole for now, may add a coil switch).. Anyway, it sounds WONDERFUL. The mid punch, smooth but cutting highs, and lows are all there. I wouldn't recommend this pickup with the stock preamp alone, but with an ntbt preamp it sounds incredible.. Just figured I'd share :) I still have the original 'ray electronics laying around, but think I may stay with this setup.. It surprisingly even has MORE output than stock.. :bassist: :bassist:

If you can find them, the MMK and MMX pickups sound far superior to the MMC in my opinion..

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just finished installing a series/parallel toggle switch :) Tonally it's extremely versatile now.. Almost like a sterling (but better..) :)

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've said it once and I will say it again this particular switch with the Bart pup/Bart NTMB or the Aguilar op-3 preamp is something that EB should have done a long time ago.As I mention a couple of months earlier IMO the electronics in the EB Stingrays 4/5 string are godawful.However I went with the Bart MMC pup/Aguilar op-3 preamp in my Stingray 5 because with this system I could add sweepable mids and also the Low/low mids are nice,round and tight