Stingray w/Sterling neck???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Jan 17, 2002.

1. hope this is in the right forum.
    I was wondering if a Sterling neck would on my Stingray w/o any difficulties...?
    I love the tone,just want a slimmer neck.
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I can't help you with the Sterling/Stingray neck question per se but . . .

I had the same issue with a G&L L-2000 (neck too big) and one avenue (which I did NOT take myself) is that you can have a luthier shave down the neck for you. They can narrow it, make it slimmer, etc. within the limits of what the neck can handle (due to truss rod position, wood strength, etc.). Mike Dolan (noted CA luthier) recommended this as a way to get a slimmer neck on a bass that you like the sound of. The cost is probably less than any replacement neck.

I did not do that myself, I swapped basses around until I ended up with an L-2000 with a smaller neck that is working for me. I just wanted to toss it in here as another option for you.
  3. cool...i guess i'm wondering if i could change out my stingray neck for a sterling neck and get the same tone?
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

ray is 6 bolt, sterling is 5 bolt asymetrical.

unless you drilled new holes, but they'd be close to the other holes so i don't know about strength....

it's not a direct swap though.

5. maybe this is something EB should consider...
    Stingray w/a sterling neck...? i'm sure i'm not the first to think of it
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Buy a Sterling and put your Stingray electronics and pickup in it, put the Sterling stuff in the Stingray, and sell it on Ebay.
  7. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If I'm not mistaken, Sterlings have 22 frets, while Stingrays have 21.
  8. gonna buy it EM?