Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STINGRAY!!! WHAAAHOOOOOOEEE!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebug, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Well last week I went to a guitar shop in a city nearby and saw this lovely MM Stingray and man, I was in love...Today I went to that same shop again, tried a Jazz bass first and then picked up the Stingray. I played it for about half an hour knowing that I could not afford it (I just needed about 300 euro more) so I asked the shop owner if my Aria pro IGB 68, witch I just happend to have with me :rolleyes: was worth the 300 euro and the guy said sure. So I gave him the Aria and the rest of the money and he gave me a nice MM gig bag and a brand new beautifull looking Stingray.

I needed a new bass since I'm going to study bass full time next year and I wanted to buy the Fender USA Jazz bass, but IMHO ( ;) )the Stingray sounded so much better, I'm so unbelievable happy with this bass, the best bass of my life sofar (although My Dean is pretty nice too) :D

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hey man. Congrats and welcome to the club. I love my Ray too. He didn't give you a hardshell case? usually MM come with hardshell cases.. oh well. i have my case sitting in the corner b/c i only use my undercover gig bag now ;)..

Show us some pics when you can. what color is she?

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Congrats!! I have a old Stingray and I love mine to death also!
    Using it tomorrow night, Plug that badboy in and start jammin!! :cool:

4. traitor !

nah just kidding.. enjoy your bass :D

5. yeah, I was also kinda surprised about not getting a hardcase too, but it's a nice bag so I didn't make a problem about it (It is an official Musicman stingray bag by Levy, pretty good quality). Anyway the bass has a red kinda color, you can still clearly see the wood underneath, it looks veeeeery pretty, oh and the pickguard is just the normal white, I'll try to get some pics up soon!

Btw. Allodox who are you calling a traitor? aren't Ibanez, no eh Yamaha, no wait eehhh Warwick you favorite basses ? :D

Musicman StingRay's Forever!

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Congrats, man. The longer you have it, the more you will like it.
    Doc

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

Yeah Allodox, you needs to be gettin yo' story straight cuz i'm gettin confused:confused: :D

8. Yes thebug, welcome to the Stingray club. I don't know if you should say it sounds so much better than a Jazz bass, you could start a fight here. :eek:

They are excellent instruments though. Just a suggestion: Bass - slighty boosted
    Treble - flat
    Mids - slightly cut

There. Doesn't that sound close to a Jazz?

All the best with her.

I love Stingrays.
    Mike J.

9. Exactly what the "traitor" comment is about I'm not sure.... But from what I've seen, Allodox isn't at all shy about expressing his dislike of Stingrays. ;)

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thebug : unless you are a saxophone player, you can't go wrong with a StingRay. My local dealer has one, used, 4-string with maple fretboard and blue dawn finish, for EUR 900... Less than half the common price of a new one... Not sure I will hesitate long... Just have to check what cash I can put into stuff.

BTW, what finish is your StingRay ?

All the best,

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

From the description in his post, I would think that it is transparent red.

12. thanx for the replies everyone!......yeah the bass is indeed transparent Red, looks great. Anyway I've edited my previous post, forget to put "IMHO" in the sentence about how much the StingRay sounded better than the jazz ;)

jaylanb, If I where you I'd try to get that bass, I never thought I would buy a bass this expensive, but the Stingrays are really worth it (and 900 euro is a nice price too)!

After a few years of bass shopping I finaly got the feeling that I've got the bass for me, the only bass that is still missing from my "collection" is ofcourse one of those "Allobasses" :cool:

13. WHAAAAAA!! :( :( my Stingray has got it's first little chip. I was playing with my 6-string and due to the vibrations it creates in the walls of my room (witch are all wood) a cd fell from the top shelf and landed straight on my beautifull new stingray. It's just a little tiny ding, but it hurts like hell. Should I bring it to a local luthier and let him repair the ding? or should I just leave it and try to learn to life with it? Has anyone else had the same experience?

Luckily I was home alone when it happend because I screamed and raged like a madman [​IMG]

14. :eek: [​IMG]

Dr. AllodoX's lessons in gear-handling

1) if not playing your bass.. your bass is in it's hard/soft shell

2) if not playing your bass.. your bass is in it's hard/soft shell

3) if not playing your bass.. your bass is in it's hard/soft shell

4) if not playing your bass.. your bass is in it's hard/soft shell

catch my drift ?

b.t.w. where did you buy the 'ray ?

15. I bought the bass at a shop in Meppel called Guitarbox, a very small but cool shop, the owner is bass player and a great Luthier , I gonna give him a call right now. btw. the Stingray is in a hardcase right now, this isn't gonna happen again!

16. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    you guys are silly silly silly.

17. I buy 99 % of my stuff at the same store..

Klomp Muziek bv.

In 's-Hertogenbosch, imho the best musicstore in the world. they're a little more expensive than most stores ( minor difference ), but their service and customer-relations thingy is superior.. i have yet to find another store where the personnel is as friendly as at Klomp Muziek bv.

thumbs up ! [​IMG]

18. yeah small shops rule! you pay a little more, but atleast you get some service!

19. It's not a small store :) their new location is actually pretty big..

but i've been a customer there for over 5 years, so they know me, etc.. service++ :D

20. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    FiXer's rules for gear handling:

If you want your bass to stay mint forever- DON'T PLAY IT !!!!! , Don't even take it out of the case ever. Not even in the dark wear the sunlight won't fade the paint......:rolleyes:,:p

Serious ly though I would'nt sweat it. Chances are it really won't be the last time you get a dent or ding. Just means in the future it'll have that Fender "relic" look.
    ;)