Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray with flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gsummer, Mar 13, 2001.

1. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Has anyone tried this combination? How does it sound? I am looking to buy a new bass and am interested in the stingray, but I would like to know if it sounds good with flats.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have a feeling you are talking about a fretted Stingray. I only play flatwounds on my Stingrays but they are both fretless. (4 and 5) The sound is perfect for my style, but I can't comment on a fretted Stingray.
    Doc

3. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    yeah, I am talking about a fretted stingray. I assume the sound might be similra because the electronics are not too different, right?

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I feel like a salesman but I have a nifty Stingray for sale!!!!

I cant vouch for the flats question, but I have heard a latin/reggae band using a similar setup(Sterling I belive) and it sounded great.

5. I use tapewounds on both my 4-string fretless and my 5-string fretted bass. I went to tape wounds becuause I feel they sound brighter than flatwounds yet still without the noise of roundwounds.:cool:

:D

6. I played a friend's Stingray (early) with black tapewounds, and it was amazingly punchy.