1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray with flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gsummer, Mar 13, 2001.

1. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Has anyone tried this combination? How does it sound? I am looking to buy a new bass and am interested in the stingray, but I would like to know if it sounds good with flats.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have a feeling you are talking about a fretted Stingray. I only play flatwounds on my Stingrays but they are both fretless. (4 and 5) The sound is perfect for my style, but I can't comment on a fretted Stingray.
    Doc

3. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    yeah, I am talking about a fretted stingray. I assume the sound might be similra because the electronics are not too different, right?

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I feel like a salesman but I have a nifty Stingray for sale!!!!

I cant vouch for the flats question, but I have heard a latin/reggae band using a similar setup(Sterling I belive) and it sounded great.

5. I use tapewounds on both my 4-string fretless and my 5-string fretted bass. I went to tape wounds becuause I feel they sound brighter than flatwounds yet still without the noise of roundwounds.:cool:

:D

6. I played a friend's Stingray (early) with black tapewounds, and it was amazingly punchy.