Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Would a stingray 4 string be good for Jazz, rock, funk? I play in my schools jazz band and would need a bass that has a jazzy sound but at the same time one for my more rock band outside of school. I currently have a MIM JAzz, what do you all think?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    rock and funk - definately, jazz - not so sure. Stingrays are known for their bite, at least the stock pickups are. whenever i play jazz i play on my spector so ive never even tried it on my stingray. To be honest though in a school jazz band no one is gonna notice that much of a tone difference between basses. Id say go for it becuase stingrays are amazing for funk and rock.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've done it on occasion with my high school jazz band, usually use my P-Bass, but the Stingray can be dialed in to sound pretty good in jazz. Mine's a little punchy with the maple fretboard, but nothing you can't fix with a bit of EQ. IMO, there's nothing a Stingray can't do.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Stingray's can cover a variety of sounds. It really depend's on you. I see lots of Stingray's on the BET jazz channel, Covering EVERY type of music.

But for that price, I would make shure that the 'Stingray' Is for me... Go to a GOOD store and check out as many basses as they can in that price range...

But, IMO you should get the Lakland Skyline 55-02, This bass (Used) runs about $750 or so... It has a Jazz Pickup and a MM pickup, it is a blend of a MM and a Fender Jazz, IMO that would sound the best... Seriously look into the Lakland.

Lakland http://lakland.com/frames/skyline_frame.html