Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TT, Feb 18, 2001.

1. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    I was wondering if a stingray is a good choice for these stypes of music metal,funk (slap,pop,)jazz,salsa I havn't played one yet cause I'm sick :( so what do ya think ?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a decent bass for those types. Only typical compalint is that is has one "sound." Sort of a one trick pony. BUT, people like them a lot, because thhe tone cuts through the mix well, and if you like the sound, you'll be in heaven. It works well in almost every situation, very versatile as far as what that one sound can be used for.
  3. Stingrays are great for slapping and popping and fingerstyle funk as well. I've seen a couple metal bands use them as well. I'm not sure about jazz and salsa, but I'm sure it work pretty well for that. Just try one, I personally love 'em and wish I had the cash to blow on one, oh well :D
  4. I've seen an avant gard jazz band where the bassist had a fretted Stingray 5, and a few other jazz bands with Stingrays, and I thought it fit pretty well.

The Stingray is perhaps best suited to slap and pop.. and it's cutting tone lends itself well to metal.

I'm not really into Latin music, but I don't see why a Stingray couldn't be used to play salsa.
  5. i would go with a warwick thumb bolt on.
    sold my stingray for one and i love it.
    like Brendan said the stingray has about one sound, personaly the thumb bass has at least one more than that.
  6. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    warwicks aren't as good as spectors in my opion. Stingray has I sound that I love :)
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But that wasn't the question, it was Stingray or ???

If Spectors are better than Warwicks, then you need to decide if you like a Stingray more than a Spector. Or a Warwick for that matter.
  8. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    trust me I love stingray over every that's everyone I just think I might of stoped my GAS problem
  9. embellisher

And that's cool, TT.

What is important is to buy the bass that makes you happy.

What all of us think is unimportant.

You're the one who has to live with the bass.

And if you get tired of the Stingray, you can send it to me.

I wouldn't mind adding a 'Ray to my collection!

10. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    btw like your gear Jeff :) and maybe .....
  11. embellisher

Thanks, TT.:) I like it too!

And maybe what? :)
  12. The Stingray is about the best all-around bass (especially considering the not-stellar price) for all-around music in the world. It's as funky as a Steinberger, as "rock-out-with-ya-cock-out" as a Fender, and has been used in blues shows I've seen that were really great.

Definitely a good choice for any musician.
  13. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    maybe when I get sick of my stingray ( probably never u I might donate it to u )
  14. embellisher

Sure, man, if you get tired of it, email me and I'll send you my shipping address!;)

15. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    let me get it first I might even get a litmited eddition 20th an one from basscentral :)
  16. that model might look a little wussy for metal.
  17. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    true but it's a collectors item :)
  18. Nothing's too wussy for metal--well, maybe an old Epi Rivoli...

Seriously, though, one of my shredder friends has a Hamer Californian with an almost Barney-colored purple finish. Nobody ever gives him any crap about it, but that might be because he can play Paganini caprices at 150 bpm ;)
  19. yea i hear you AK9 but that stingray has a really attractive quilted top. i wouldn't give a metal player crap about it but personally i might have a hard time beating out a metal tune on such a beauty.

never mind letting a pick get near it