Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    This is a repost. Pictures at http://webpages.charter.net/coolfront/bass4sale.htm
    It's an '86, white/tort/rosewood 4-string, a little beat but has the unmistakable Stingray bite. Neck is nice - plays great and has plenty of birdseye - I can play faster on it than on my Fenders. The neck is wider than a jazz but flatter from front to back - very comfortable for me. 2-band EQ gives huge bass and/or tons 'o treble when needed.

The bad news for some will be that it has several bumps and bruises on the body. A few go through the finish. The white paint has also yellowed to a cream color. It looks cool and has a strong vintage vibe with the tort pickguard which I don't think is original.

No playability or sound issues. This thing is really well-made. Hats off to EB on construction and materials.

Too things to mention:
    1) I superglued 2 small rubber "feet" on the pickguard for thumbrests. One was removed. The remaining one is close to the pickup. I zoomed in on this in one picture. The place where the one was removed is also shown in this picture. There is a small rough spot.
    2) I use a small metal shim between the bridge saddle of the G and D strings to position the G string over the center of the pole pieces. It makes the G string slightly louder. It is easily removed without a trace.

I took quite a few pictures because of the cosmetic issues. Most of the little dings didn't show up very well.

The original hardshell case is included. It's a sturdy tolex/board case with the leather (?) ends. There are some small rips in the tolex and no stickers. I really like the case. It fits the bass perfectly and I won't separate the two. I don't have the keys for it.

I'm asking $750 obo.

I'm selling because after a long search I've realized that passive basses are better suited to my style. I thought about modifying this bass because it's so comfortable and plays so nice but I'd probably lose on that. I've owned it for 10 years and want it to go to someone who'll give it a good home.

I'm looking for a rack preamp if anyone wants to offer one as partial trade. An EQ stompbox and a MIM jazz with alder/rosewood would also be of interest.

Thanks for reading.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not to discourage you from selling or anything, but a passive mod would allow you to keep a treasured bass...

I can't tell you hom many times I've heard "why did I sell that? Doh!" from people.

3. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I know what you're saying and have considered it many times but I've modified several basses in the past and almost always regreted it. Given the pickup position I'd guess that going passive on this bass would leave it without it's awesome low end. The stingray preeamp scoops mids and I believe that contributes to the awesome bottom. My problem is that I need some of those mids back and the low end which I don't think I can get with one pickup. For this one to meet my sound needs I might need a neck pickup and extensive rewiring. Besides, I think it will be collectable in the not-too-distant future. Thanks for the advice though, you may be right.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Good points! Good luck with the selling...

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
  6. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Bump.. bump-bump.. bu-bum-bum
    Bump.. bump-bump..bu-bum-bum
    (to the tune of "Oyo como va") :)

7. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Don't sell her! She's a sweetheart If I ever saw one! Your offspring will never forgive you if you deny them the right to inherit such a wonderous beast.

8. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Sheesh. You guys aren't makin' this easy. I still don't have an offer for my asking price so I suppose I could still back out but I sure do need a preamp and some cash....

You're right though, she's a beaut. The tort is darker than the close-up. More like the full frontal pic. The rosewood is nice and dark too, not like a lot of new basses where it's real light.

Somebody stop me from thinking about it.

9. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    e-mail sent...
    David

10. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Looks like this bass is sold. It's going to Italy for fun in the sun.

Don't pinch it Armando!