Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kilgoja, May 26, 2005.

1. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i just got my musicman stingray bass...black with rosewood fretboard....i love this bass...my previous bass was a fender american jazz bass....the stingray has more growl to it....the jazz bass has more growl than a p-bass.....the stingray is a bit on the trebly side but i just turned my treble down on my amp a bit and it sounds better than my jazz bass did..it is a great bass for rock....i tried d'addario strings on it and it sounded terrible...those strings sounded good on my jazz bass....i found that ernie ball slinkys sounded best on my stingray...i just got a new amp too...a mesa boogie bass 400+ and a mesa 2x15 cabinet....my old rig was an ampeg svt classic with an ampeg 8x10e cabinet.....i think i made a good decision switching basses and amps.....kind of a fresh start for me i guess...lol

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Congrats, there is nothing llike a new bass to slap around!

3. A black Stingray with a rosewood board?

That's what I have. :cool:

If you want to tame the treble of your Stingray a little bit more, may I suggest trying Dean Markley Blue Steel stirngs? They'll give you a deeper, mellower bass, mids which are much less harsh and nice smooth treble. Your Stingray will sound darker, but more balanced, IMHO.

Also, try cutting the treble on your bass to about 2.

Can you describe the difference in sound between the 8x10 cab and your new 2x15?

Congrats on getting a 'Ray.

Mike ;)

4. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    it's kinda hard to describe......i think about the only difference is that you get a little more bass out of the 15's....the highs and mids sound about the same...of course i do have a stingray so the highs and mids are never hard to hear...lol....i think you get more of a realistic bass sound out of the 15's if that makes sense...i had played a stingray through an ampeg svt and 8x10 at GC also i tried the ampeg 2x15....the ampeg 8x10 sounds better than the ampeg 2x15...it sounded kindof nasaly but then again that was a while back so i may have had the eq on the amp set wrong ...lol....but i really like the sound of the mesa 2x15...to me i can get the sound i want out of any of the cabinets...ampeg 8x10 mesa 2x15, 8x10...or whatever...you could even go with a mesa powerhouse 1000 that has a 15 and 4x10's

i guess my overall opinion is that the 8x10's have a tighter low end and the 2x15's have more low end...not muddy...just more....the mesa 2x15's sound better than the ampeg 10's...that's just my opinion...it may also depend on what kind of bass you have too and how you set the eq...i mean if you want to you can take all of the bass out of the 2x15's and it sounds nothing but treble....some people say 2x15's are too muddy or boomy...but i think they just have their bass knob on their amp turned too high...lol..i mean if i turn mine all the way up and pull it out to boost the bass i'll tear down the walls ...the walls start rattling and everything...so you just have to set it up right ....of course you can do that with 8x10's too...i must say this and then i'll shut up...the 2x15 cabinet is way better for outdoor gigs because the bass carries farther...and it's better if you ever have to play a gig where the bass isn't going through a pa with subwoofers