Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray5 Clear Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman134, May 14, 2003.

1. Hey,

I did a search and came up with nothin'... I thought I had seen somewhere in the past a discussion about a clear pickguard on a Stingray5. I have the tobacco sunburst and like the way the clear guards look on the stingray 4's. Anybody have a pic of any color 5 with a clear PG? Its 45 bucks, I hate to waste the money and find out I don't like it.

TKS

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The discussion on this with regards to a clear one is that in the case of a Ray5 the pickguard is the control plate cover. If you found a way to make a cover for that [since there's a route & it's what the pots are on] you could have a custom one. i think it's www.wdmusic.com that sells them though. Thats all

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I love the contouring on the Ray 5, but I prefer the look of the PG and control cover of the 4. It might be nice if they started making them like that someday.....

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    FJC is right on the money: The "issue" is that the control cavity on the SR5 is front routed, and if you put the clear pickguard on it you can see the "guts"...looks kinda...different. Some folks really kinda dig it, personally I think it looks kinda...well....ugly. :p

By the way, if you really want one, I recommend clicking the link in my signature, that will take you to a place that sells them.

;)

5. thanks for the tips,

I was thinking that maybe I could make a custom cover for the pots, lay it under the clear guard so that you cant see the guts, but can see th nice wood grain eveywhere else. but I think 50 bucks is too much to experiment with. Maybe Ill get some plexi and fiddle with one myself, I have a router I could use to cut it with. If i come up with somethig I sure to post pics.