Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray5 Fretless Has Arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicbones, Jan 31, 2002.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    It's been a good night. I've just spent the better part of 2 hours setting up and playing my new fretless. I slapped a set of Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds on it and it really sounds like butter.

Thanks again to the guys at Bass Central for delivering a dynamite instrument.

Pics will follow in the near future.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, 'Bones. 'Rays have a sweet fretless tone. What color did you get?

3. I've got a stingray5 fretless too........

How do those TI strings sound and feel on there??

I've been using d'addario half-rounds, and wondering if there is any difference in mwwwahh factor???

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    It's a lined Black fretless with a white pearloid pickguard. I also have the original black pickguard to install on a whim.

I definitely like the feel of the TI's on this bass much more than the stock EB's. I've never been that much of a fan of flatwounds, but these seem to yield a well rounded tone. However, it's still a little early for me to give a definitive opinion. Down the road, I'd like to make a comparison between the TI's and Elixirs (the strings I like to use on my prior fretless).

Bones