Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray5 Fretless on the way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicbones, Jan 26, 2002.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Well the culmination of my fretless search has me going with a Black Stingray 5 Lined Fretless with a white pearloid pickguard. It's due to arrive next Friday at my office. I'm thinking of bringing in a little practice amp to set under my desk for a little lunch time jamming.

There's no question next weekend will be fun.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey, I know you....

...man you made poor Mark really work on Friday!!! ;) But you made the right decision, that bass looks killer with the white pearloid pickguard. Hope you dig the bass, and what Beaver told you is true, the bass looks WAY better in person than it did in the digital pics! :D Hope you enjoy it, and please let us know you got it ok (you can just PM me, I'll pass it along to everyone).

3. utibassist

utibassist

Jan 26, 2002
    England
    cool,but don't u get a little confused not having frets?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Congrats on the new bass, ABs! post a pic when you get it!

uti: Why would it be confusing?

5. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Gard,

I really appreciate all the work you guys went through at Bass Central. You earned my business.

I'll definitely give you a report when it arrives.

Thanks again,
    Bones

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Personally, I have the opposite problem, the little metal speed bumps confuse me! ;)

7. fretless ray 5's rule! :)

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I don't. Why would it be?

I agree with Gard on this one, I get confused when playing with the speed-bumps that are often referred to as fretwire.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with John D and Gard on this one. I have fretteds and fretlesses, but if possible I would play fretless 100% of the time. But some of the music that I do requires the sound of the strings rattling off of those little pieces of metal.

With time, practice, and a good ear, to me, fretless is actually easier.

10. What about it is actually easier? If you can't explain it, that's cool. I'm just curious since I'm preparing to head into fretless-land myself.

11. ****yBassist

****yBassist

Nov 12, 2001
    Is it just me or does Gard look like Keith Horne?

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

...now if only someone would say:

"Is it just me or does Gard play like Keith Horne?"

:D

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Da5id, I guess the easiest way to explain it is like Gard and John Davis said, those speed bumps get in the way and slow me down.

Slow me down isn't the right term either. I tend to overplay on a fretted, but on a fretless I turn into a whole different animal. I slow down a little, let notes sustain a little longer, and also play more artificial harmonics and doublestops. I feel that I am more expressive when I am playing fretless. Yes, I do play a few slides and fretless cliches, but I feel that I use them tastefully and don't overuse them the way a lot of post Jaco fretless players do. And when the song calls for slap, I do that on fretless too.

14. I agree. I like playing the fretless more 100%.:D

15. Thanks Embellisher, that was actually pretty helpful. That's the main reason I want to move to fretless -- to make my playing less busy and more "musical."

Besides, being a metal fan is tough when most people just want root notes. :) This should give me some room to branch out in my playing.

16. I'm jus getting used to a fretted 5 .. i'd like to get into fretless later on down the line (and ultimately URB) ... I'm just wondering *how long* it would likely take to get used to the whole intonation thing??