Stingray5? More like a Sterling5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Why do they call the 5-string Music Man bass the "Stingray 5" when it more resembles a Musicman Sterling than a Stingray? I mean, it's got...

- A proportionately narrow and thin neck
    - Three-Way pickup selector
    - No metal trim around the knobs

Shoudn't a REAL Stingray-5 have the exact same look and features as the 4-string, with the exception of the "B" string?

Not that I'm complaining, just wondering what went into this marketing decision...

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Okay, someone get this guy. He's discovered E.B.'s secret. Be careful, man, you might regret saying that. You can't question Ernie Ball and not go unpunished. :rolleyes: :p
  3. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    It's my understanding that the Ray5 was created before the Sterling, and that the Sterling was created to be a 4 string version of the Ray5.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I dont usually do this but in this case I have to...........

Please do a search. This has been covered here many times.
  5. I think they do like quite different, maybe not the things you mentioned :
    - A proportionately narrow and thin neck
    - Three-Way pickup selector
    - No metal trim around the knobs

butthe body shape etc is very different. I really see them as to different kind of basses.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, but if we use that reasoning, what are we going to talk about?
  7. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I've had all 3 (not claiming to be a pro here !!) and I found all 3 to be different animals.

The Stingray 5 had the 3-way switch and a fairly narrow neck profile but that is where it ended to me. I found it to be heavy and bulky like a Stingray, though the body side beveling made it appear to be smaller. I still feel the 3 are different but if I had to choose one that the 5 would resemble, it would be a Stingray 4. I think that is just more due to the size and weight.

The Sterling is a gem and an absolute pleasure to play. I would like to have another Stingray 5 however for recording. For live, they were just too heavy for me.

Just my 2 cents.