Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray5 or TRB5II ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JMBass, Nov 27, 2002.

1. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi all
    I'm new on this

I own a stingray (4 strings) and now i want to buy a 5 strings bass. I'm not sure about what to choose...the yamanha TRB5 or the Musicman Stingray5.

Can you help me?

Give me your opinion on this.

2. well, if you like the sound of your stringray 4, and would prefer a similar tone in a 5 string package, then buy the stingray 5. they're fairly close in tone. the TRB5 is a different beast IMO.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Try them both, they are very different both in tone and string spacing. I personally still kick myself for selling my Stingray5. I've picked up Yamaha's several times in music stores but never felt the urge. Many like them for being a versatile instrument, but you have to like the string spacing, and its perhaps more "polite" tone. In a way it would perhaps make more sense to get the Yamaha as you already have a MM though.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I don´t know whay are you asking!!! get the Stingray 5..... forget the Yamaha

as always .....just my opinion

5. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hello!!
    Is the string spacing in this two basses very different? Why do you say that?

Thank you!
    Regards.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I believe TRBs have a string spacing on the wide side, whereas the Stingray is narrower. A matter of taste only.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Yamaha neck is a tad wider. Both basses are on the heavy side. The Yamaha's electronics sizzle with lots of midrange crunch. The SR5 has more punch and pushes more air. Overall, I think the SR5 is better made out of better materials, but only slightly. The absolute worst thing about the TRB is the angled input. Both are stepped up basses and both can be experimented with at your local Sam Ash. To save some money and be perhaps more satisfied, may I suggest a Lakland 55-01 or 55-02?:)

8. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    You made my mind:D

I'm almost decided for the Singray5...

9. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    STRING RAY 5. you can close this thread now:D

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ray 5

11. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi rickreyn

Why Lakland? is it better than SR5 or TRB? or it's just because you have one?:D

Anyway, it's dificult to get a Lakland here in Portugal

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have owned all three basses. The Lakland is hands down the best. A 55-02 would sound almost identical to the 55-94 I have. However, I would own an SR5 again. Very well made. I would not get a TRB again, unless it was its neck-thru forerunner with piezos. Take a look at my web page for my old Ray.

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    and for a different point of view..

personally id take a ray 5 over a lakland. ive owned both and just prefer the tone over the lak. the lak has a lot of tones that are useable but to me, kind of bland. the ray 5 has less variation but sounds killer out of the box. the playability and build quality on a musicman is just as good as the lak. the control cavity isnt quite as tidy but that's about it.

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I think the blandness can be cured with tweaking, but I agree on the build quality. Both top shelf.

15. i'm with narud on this one. lakland's do sound pretty good, but they're not as ballsy as a ray5 IMO. just pure cut and punch out of the box.

16. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hello JMBass. I am from Portugal too. Nice to meet someone from here!!!! :D
    Tell me something... The TRB is almost half the price of the Stingray, isn't it? Where are you considering buying this basses??
    I am thinking of buying a TRB6II!

Adeus e até breve!!! ;)

Regards.

17. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi BassPulsar

It's funny to "talk" with some one from our country in english....but ok

In fact, the TRb costs about 1250€ and the SR5 2000€, but i'm really thinking having the SR5. I'm used to the "The Sound"

Usually I buy music stuff on a friends of mine in VFXira (North Lisbon) or in Alverca.

See you

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Though it's all a matter of personal taste, for me there's no doubt : StingRay 5. But it's much more pricey than the TRB-5...

19. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    SR5 for sure, the top of the line TRB's are great but they get very plasticy sounding.