Stingray5 truss rod adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by arther daily, Aug 3, 2001.

1. I just swapped my 4-string Stingray for a Stingray5.

I tweaked my 4 string Ray to perfection, no problems, but I want to know if there's anything I need to watch out for on the Stingray5?

All is fine except that the action is way to high for me.

I have another five string so I appreciate that the action does tend to be a little higher to account for the B, but this bass is mad. I'm talking almost 5mm off the frets mid-neck!

The neck itself is pretty concave (it could be alot flatter) and the bridge saddles are already very low, so I guess I'll have to tweak the truss rod a bit to flatten the neck (reduce the concave) and lower the action?

I gave it a little twist tighter the other day, but it was pretty stiff. I presume the truss rod is tighter becasue the neck is fatter - is this right?

Has anyone else had the same situation with a Stingray5?

Any advice or comments would be really helpful!
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The higher the action is, the more bend you will have in the neck. The strings will pull more outwards.
    If the truss feels stiff, I'd recommend that you lower your action first.
    Then slack the strings, wait a while, turn the nut, cross your fingers, wait another while, look whats happened...if it looks OK, tune the strings again, and see the result.
    It's not the fat neck, but the strong string. The total string tension may be enough to make it almost impossible to turn that truss nut!

And, as I always tell my son: slowly,,,figure out the consequenses,,,gently,,,da capo eterna.
  3. This is what I was planning to do... I'm gonna give it a go on Saturday. this case your signeture doesn't exactly inspire confidence!