Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman60, Nov 23, 2001.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I'm considering this for my third and most likely last bass I will buy for a good long while. I am in a hard rock band (similar to Pearl Jam or Tool) and I'm wondering how this bass would do for a low tuning. Aflat, Dflat, Aflat, Dflat, Gflat. Stingray5 only has 21 frets and it does not string through the body. Would I be able to get adequate tension for this tuning on a Stingray5? I love this bass, the way it sounds and feels and everything is perfect. Should I consider another bass with 24 frets, or that strings through the body??????

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    As far as the alternate tunning.. I haven't tried it.. I don't know how it would sound.. ab would be insanely low... but it might work... as far as frets are conserned.. the extra 2 or 3 frets really don't mean much.. unless you play on the 23 and 24 fret alot, you really shouldn't worry about it. I went from a 24 fret bass to the stingray 5 and at first i was a bit worried.. but then I realized that even soloing, I don't have a need for 24 frets... so i say go for it..

3. I have done A-D-A-D-G on mine... it was a little floppy on standard guage strings, but not really too bad. If we were doing for more than 2 songs, I would have gotten heavier strings. I think it would be fine if you set it up to accomodate it...

You could always try tuning one way down in Guitar Center!?!? :eek:

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yeah people do that all the time. nothing more annoying than picking up an Ibanez soundgear just for yuks and then finding out that it was tuned to A by some Fieldy fanatic. I dont think tension will be that big of an issue. I lowered an E down to a B with a .105 gauge and it wasnt all that floppy. It was actually kinda nice. A 'ray5 should definately be able to handle de tuning like that, especially if you get some heavy strings like .140s or .150s.