Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingrays and mutes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanGouge, Feb 12, 2002.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Anyone know what years MM Stingrays had string mutes at the bridge. Do they still have them? Any knowledge about MM serial #'s would nice too. I found a nice trans green one for a good deal, but I want a little knowledge before I'd get one. It's used but I have no idea about the year. The only real defining features are the trans-green finish, the mutes and a birdseye maple neck. MM owners and fans help me out!
    -Dan

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Please, someone help me out here

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my 94 sterling has them, but i think i saw a 95 that didn't.

help?

jason

4. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    My 95 doesn't have them. I met someone else who claimed to have a 95, but it had mutes on it. That might have been the transition year

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    It was definately sometime in the mid '90s... that's all I know. I think they were cooler with the mutes on them

6. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    they won't make them anymore. I contacted 'em and they said they were 'unsafe' , though didn't say why.. LOOK OUT! THAT MUTE'S GOT A GUN!

7. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    My early 90's sting had mutes on it

8. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
  9. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    My '95 Ray has them..... My Stingray

I like them..... and have even used them ;)

I've always wondered why they did away with them, and can't imagine them being 'dangerous' !!

PJR

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Smash, I'm in Toronto and the bass is part of a big sale @ Long & McQuade's location at the north end of the city. I got a sneak preview of what was going to the sale. Unfortunately I can't hit it first thing in the morning so there's a good chance the Stingray may be gone by the time I see it.:(

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It's going for $999 Canadian. Which is cheaper than any other new or used one I've seen. It does have some belt buckle rash and other dings on it though...

12. Hmm. Why were they unsafe?

I'm getting a ray, and I want mutes :(