1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingrays: maple or rosewood fboard? And what's with the anniversary editions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krmsn, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Krmsn

Krmsn

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi everybody,

Allow me to briefly introduce myself, name is Xavi, from Barcelona, owner of a Tobias 5 Classic. End of introduction ;)

I am on the market for a Stingray and would greatly apreciate your comments regarding the differences in sound and playability between maple and rosewood fingerboard units. I have always played rosewood boards so I am comfortable with them, but the looks of maple kind of appeal to me (especially if figured).

Second question: any time anybody puts a 20th or 30th anniversary for sale comments appear raving about the monster tone of these beasts. However afaik the differences are largely related to wood choices and aesthetics. Therefore I would think they must sound similar to the modern units (which tend to be considered less satisfying in terms of tone when compared to the 70s and 80s machines). Is there anything I am missing that sets the tone of these basses above the standard modern units?

Thanks for reading this!
    Xavi.

2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I own several different Music Man basses with both fingerboards and to be 100% honest with you I don't hear a big enough difference in tone to notice. I think either way you go, you will be happy.

Same with the Anniversary units. They maybe slightly different in looks but sound pretty much the same. In fact, I'm yet to hear a bad Music Man bass.

3. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum

Aug 30, 2011
    Geneva
    +1, I agree 100 %, not much difference between maple and rosewood. I personally prefer maple but that's a matter of personal taste.

I once tried the 30th anniversary and it sounded most like the others (I've only played sting-rays's with one humbucker).

Good luck!

4. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    Maple might be a little brighter, but nothing that half a click on the tone knob wouldn't change. No difference in playability.