Stingrays tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, May 8, 2005.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey guys!

I'll make this short and seet for you...

I'm looking for a bass that has quite a bit of growl, but will still maintain clarity. Does the stingray fit the bill?

Also, how do s.u.b.s compare to normal stingrays? Is it worth the extra cash to just get a used stingray?

If I should get a sub, should I get an active or passive one?
    If I should get a stingray, should I get a 2band or 3 band eq?
  2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i highly suggest buying a used stingray or sterling over a new SUB. i never liked those textured finishes or the painted neck on the SUBs and there are defnitely used rays out there that go for 750 on.

stingrays have plenty of growl. but i would say get a's a stingray except it's a little more tame. also, the series/parallel switch makes it a little more versatile.
  3. honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I agree on the used idea if you are patient enough to wait for a good deal. I recently picked up a like new used Sterling for $750.00 w/o a case and got an original Sterling case new for another $100.00.The finish is Sparkle White with some nice bird'seye on the neck. It's all the bass you need for what you described. Do a search on Sterling and Stingray basses.
  4. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Better to get used Good quality, than new crappier quality. Plus there is a higher resale value if you decide its not for you.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Used Stingrays can be had around $700, the price of a new SUB.

I'd recommend a Stingray over a SUB because of this, hold value much better and are better built. Other than that, the 2-band/3-band is up to you. I prefer the sound of the 2 band but I prefer the versatility of the three band, so that's what I've always used.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Don't forget you can get used SUB or get a SUB at a Guitarcenter blowout for very little. I have had both a green active SUB 4 and a graphite SUB5 as either blowouts or used and both were under $400. :bassist:

The SUBs have slab bodies and not quite as comfy as Stingrays or Sterlings but they sound pretty much the same as two band Stingrays IMO.
  7. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    So, would a stingray or a sterling be more for what im looking for?

also, whats the difference in sound between a 2 band vs. 3 band eq?
  8. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Btw, I just looked into stingrays and sterlings, and found out there are no 5 string sterlings... I guess its down to whether a 2 band eq or a 3band eq is more for me.

So, wich one of the two has the most clarity?I figure since Its a stingray, its a gonna have growl so I might aswell get the one with the most clarity.

9. Actually a SR5 is more like a sterling than a ray. Personally I like the sterling 4 better. I think it comes down to the neck more than the sound. However, the sterling is a tad less aggressive tha nthe stringray, however again you cant ask for much more clairity than a sterling too :)
  10. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
  11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yup, that's exactly what they sound like.
    Nice chops BTW
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'd suggest I sterling if you want more growl. You put the pup in the single coil position and you get the growl similar to a Jazz bass's bridge pup.
  13. SR5 is an SR5. Period.
  14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No, compare pickup placement, electronics, and tone - they're more alike than not. I have both, trust me.
  15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  16. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm currently selling my SR4 if you're interested. Check out the sig.