1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sting's Bass - Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender PB, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Fender PB

Fender PB

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi,

Has a Fender PB 1.JPG

Fender PB 2.JPG nyone out there got a photo of Sting playing this bass ?
    Its his old 1976 Fender Precison Sunburst, authenticity confirmed by his bass tech Danny Q. Hope you can help.

Best

Jez

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Is that bass yours ?

3. I went through the two Police photo books I have and it MIGHT be in 2 pictures, but it is barely visible and a bit of a stretch to prove that it is this bass. I believe this bass is played on the Ghosts in The Machine era sessions in Montserrat and is in one of the "in the studio" videos. I have it on DVD and will check it out.

4. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    He plays a bass that look like this in the Everyone Stares film. He is recording Secret Journey.

5. So it could be the bass in those Montserrat videos, but Sting is in the shadows the whole time and you never get a REALLY good look at it. Do you think it ever had a tort pick guard on it?

6. Checked out the Everyone Stares clip as well, like I said, if it ever had a tort guard on it, that's your bass more than likely...

7. Fender PB

Fender PB

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi Yes its my bass ! I dont think it is the one in the ghost sessions although it is similar. Best Jez

8. Fender PB

Fender PB

Mar 12, 2013
    Sorry forgot to say I don't know if it had a tort pic guard.

9. Ask Danny Q, bet it's not too hard to get his email address.

10. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Artist-owned basses are not usually autographed and dated by the former owner. That kind of thing is usually done at the request of a fan on an instrument owned by a fan. If this were actually owned and played by Sting, with that autograph on it, it would be as part of a charity auction, and would have some type of authentication with it.

11. Yeah, that's pretty much true, but what about the Danny Q verification? I wonder if he gave it to a crew member signed and they sold it?

12. Fender PB

Fender PB

Mar 12, 2013
    It was signed by Sting and donated to a Jimmy Page auction. Danny Q has verified it for me but due to the 30 years ore so which have passed cant recall when or what is was played on, hence trying to find soem photos. Best Jez

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Did you buy it from Danny Q? What's the story behind it?

14. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    should it be sunburst?

15. Shouldn't it be a Spector?

Old joke, couldn't resist!

Davo

16. ????:eyebrow:

17. At least there is a definite identifier in that the bridge is different, it looks like an Ibanez Musician bridge maybe...

18. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    I mean, the picture of sting playing that model, the one he had was exactly like that? fretted and sunburst?

here's one fretless and natural:

:rolleyes:

or you could try to use this?

2coiekk.

:D

19. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    It's a Schaller Roller Bridge. The Musician line didn't have those, though.

20. Cool, thanks for the info!