1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sting's bass lines on Ghost in the Machine

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by the rocket, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Bass Musician Magazine just published their August issue which includes my article on the Police album Ghost in the Machine. I include a transcription of every song on the album. As I state in the article, "Half of the songs on the album are structured around bassist Sting’s short, repetitive grooves that often repeat through the entire song. One could play six or seven of the record’s songs by learning just a few measures of music."

http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2012/08/deconstructing-ghost-in-the-machine-by-rob-collier/

The issue also features cool articles on Marcus Miller and John Driskell Hopkins (Zac Brown Band).

2. Fuzzy Dustmite

Fuzzy Dustmite

Jan 25, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    Excellent!

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Very cool...do you have similar/deconstuction articles on other albums/bassists?

4. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks for inspiring me to learn "Ghost in the Machine". I generally learn stuff strictly by ear, so the article is less useful to me, but I do appreciate the breaking it down into groups. You're right: "Every Little Thing" was written before the Police even got together, I think. Definitely before Andy joined the band. You can find Sting's original demo on the "Strontium 90" CD that was put out some years ago.

KO

5. Thanks! I have done several other articles for BMM. Ghost in the Machine is the first album I've done in its entirety--the nature of the short, repetitive bass lines made that possible. Most of the other articles I've written focus on an individual bass player's style. Here are links to those:

Paul McCartney's melodic bass playing
    McCartney's bass line on "Something"
    Duck Dunn's style
    Carl Radle's style
    Rick Danko's style

6. This is a great album to learn by ear. Many of the songs are so repetitive that you can get the line down without having to pause or rewind.

And putting the bass lines into different groups is just a good way of thinking about how the bass line fits into the overall song structure. IMO, it's always good to think analytically about the bass line you're learning. Not just, "Man, this is a great bass line," but "Why does this bass line work so well? What is happening here?" This way, you're not just training your fingers, you're also enhancing your ability to create interesting lines on your own.