Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stings bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by brake, Aug 7, 2003.

1. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I saw an old SNL clip of Sting and what I assume was his backing band, there was a black chick playing a Fender(couldnt tell which, odd.) and slapping like a mother****er. Who is she? I think I might've seen her before(some American Bandstand anniversary show maybe, it might not even be the same girl.)

2. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Bah......not Christian McBride then! :spit:

Regards

Mike

Christina McB?

3. Yup, she was in Sting's band for the "Nothing Like The Sun" tour, which means way back in the '80s second half.

4. Didn't she play with David Bowie, also?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Definitely. She was in the Waitresses too. 'Christmas Wrapping' has a great bassline.

6. Tommy The Cat has a great bass line.

What, it was written by a Leslie:oops: ;)

7. funkyNeohyte

funkyNeohyte Guest

Jun 8, 2003
    las vegas, nv
    Meshell N'degeocello is her name. i am not sure if she's ever backed sting, but she has a bunch of recordings in her own right and she is the baddest bass players i ever knew before i started learning about the way of the low frequencies.

she rocks, funks, souls and grooves... sometimes she even hips and hops.

also, i saw one of stings former drummers playing this suburban drum festival in one of the suburbs of las vegas VINX is the name. and her also comepletely blew me away. the man played a talking drum while putting a serious twist on my funny valentine. he also did thing to carol king's It's too late baby that she never intended. had a voice depper than will downings voice. made me want to change my religion to whatever he was having.

that sting can find the talent.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    AFAIK-
    M'shell never toured with Sting.
    Tracy Wormworth is the answer to brake's question.
    Tracy was then-Mrs. Kenny Kirkland...Kirkland was in Sting's Blue Turtles' band.
    I also recall that particular SNL show; the tune was "We'll Be Together". Wormworth does do a nice job.

I'm not sure if I agree that Sting "finds" talent.
    These folks he's surrounding himself with(Marsalis, Hakim, McBride, Colaiuta, etc) have certainly been around the block pre-Sting.