Sting's "Bring On The Night" DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimK, Mar 28, 2005.

1. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I actually paid to see this concert-film in the theatre back in '85(?).
    I then actually ordered the tape BETA. DOH!

So, finally, it looks like this will be released tomorrow on DVD.

IMO, it is worth the $14-$15.
    Couple of highlights-
    Kenny Kirkland's solo on the opening tune("Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down..." medley).
    Omar Hakim's energy, drumming, & musicianship...especially on "I Burn For You". The video version of this particular tune is different than that found on the 2-cd set. The video version blows the cds' version away.
    Darryl Jones' nice white Jazz bass...his little Frank Sinatra-esque duet with Branford Marsalis is pretty funny.
    Branford Marsalis steals the show with his humour...he shoulda replaced Carson as the Tonight Show's host!

Miles Copeland...whadda dork.
  2. I have been waiting for that! Thanks for the info.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I bought the video a while back. I'll have to get the DVD. Great players with him at that time.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Omar's drum solo on that video is one of my favorite drum solos ever! I still get chicken skin when I watch it :cool:
    I like the part when Miles Copland is trying to explain how many tickets would be returned if Sting didn't show up compared to anybody else in the group when the argued about money. You can tell Miles is a prick, but the kind of prick you would want in your corner ;)
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "If Sting dropped out, how many people would still show up to see you? Nobody.
    If Sting stays & you dropped out, how many people would return their tickets? Nobody.
    ...that doesn't mean I don't love ya; it doesn't mean I don't think you're a great musician. The fact is it's Sting's table".

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    He's a jerk, but he's absolutely right. Thanks for the thread, now I can finally retire my Super VHS mono copy from Bravo.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Anyone wanna buy my store-bought BETA copy?
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    $10.49 w/ tax at Best Buy.
    There's some Bonus the video to "If You Love Somebody, Set Them Free". I had almost forgotten how bad a dancer Branford Marsalis is...even worse than me & that's going some.

Still hard to believe this movie is 20 years old. Caramba.
  9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have the video. One of my favorites. I'll have to pick up the DVD. Thanks for the info.