Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sting's "Broken Music"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Who has read Sting's memoir, Broken Music? I brought it with me to Cape Town, South Africa for a conference to read before I got down to business and I was blown away by the book. It is wonderful on many levels, but I think that it is a must read for any serious musician because Sting really goes into great detail about the everyday grind of being a working musician and how he worked to get it to snuff as a bassist, singer, and song writer.
    It also has a great section about his reaction to being an opening act for Return to Forever when Stanley Clarke was just bursting onto the scene! Great book.

2. It is indeed a great book. I like all the stuff about his previous band Last Exit, the cruise ship gigs, etc... Sting really keeps things in perspective through the book. He's a great writer, but then again he was an English teacher, so he should be.