stings for strunal bass

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rashaan bass, Sep 24, 2002.

1. rashaan bass

rashaan bass

Aug 22, 2002
    I would like to know if anyone has any experience with either the Strunal 50/4 or the 5/20. What strings have given favorable results for both jazz and classical playing? Has anyone played one strung with Pirastro Obligatos or Diadario Helicore.
  2. Are those the plywood models? I have the 5/35 hybrid and I like it. I had Obligatos on it for 6months, I felt they didn't really cut it. Maybe they are better on older basses. I am using Spirocore weichs right now. So far they are working well both jazz and classical.
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    According to your profile, you have a Kay M-1 with Helicore Hybrids: high volume when pizzed, harmonics all over the place when arcoed. The same proly applies to Strunal.

The safe string recommendation is Spirocore medium which, under the bow, are not as scratchy than the weich.

PS: I love Michael Bowie with Bheki Mseleku (Timelessness)
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    My Strunal plywood 50/4 likes Helicore Pizz mediums pretty well for pizz. I don't play arco, so I can't comment there. I get a nice even response and nice growly tone that retains a good bit of warmth. One other thing I've noticed about them is that they tend to respond more (better than others I've tried) to variations in where my right hand is located.
  5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I have the cheaper Strunal with the carved top/plywood back & sides. I've only tried metal strings and haven't worked up enough interest (yet) in nylon or gut strings to try them. I've tried Helicore Orchestra, Flexocore 92's, Original Flexocores, and the multi-colored strings that came with the bass. I've kept all the strings I've listed, so sometimes I'll change them and try one of the brands out again. My Helicore Orchestra's are heavy gauge, and that's my current favorite.

I love the sound of the Original Flexocores, but when I tried the Flexocore 92's I fell in love with the G string's airy, cello-like tone (my description), especially in the thumb-position area of the neck. But as my technique improves I'm looking for clarity in the low notes, and the Helicore Orchestra strings give me that in spades and something closer to what I want with the G string.

Pizz-wise, I'm a BIG James Jamerson fan and could care less about sustain or clear tones (no offense to James). I want a strong, rhythmic thump. Maybe when I hear a Ray Brown record I'll change my attitude...
  6. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I was thinking about replacing the Helicore Hybrid mediums on my solid Romanian bass with Spirocore mediums as I loved the pizz tone they produced on a nice old German instrument at my luthier's shop. But I found them hard to bow; they didn't seem much different from the Weichs. (Of course, I'm kinda new to the bow.)

Any other Spirocore medium users out there who could comment?