Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stings... help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Am looking at replacing my strings (for the first time) on my Yamaha bass. Can anyone educated me a little? I was looking at juststrings.com and am overwhelmed! What are the differences/features between D'Addario "soft" and "super soft?" The strings which came on the bass were very bright sounding, almost piano-like, and I have actually enjoyed the sound a little more once they deadened down a little... but now they are too far gone for me... Also, which strings tend to lessen finger noise, if this is possible? This is really an issue for soloing. Thanks!!

2. O.K. I believe when a manufacturer refers to "soft" and "super soft," they're refering to the guage, ie; the thickness of the string set as a whole.

The stings which sounded piano like, are definitely roundwound strings, and most probably stainless steel, which has a brighter timber than its nickel counterpart. Stainless steel strings sound very bright at first, but, lose this brightness more quickly than nickel strings, which have an overall smoother tone.

As for lessening finger noise; Flatwound strings.
    Roundwound strings have treble, and fingernoise by the truck load compared with flatwound strings, which have a much more thumpy and percussive sound to them; Warning: some people think that they are dead sounding so you'd really have to hear both before you can make a reliable judgement.

The one thing about strings is: you have to hear them first hand to really understand what they sound like. Sometimes you buy a set, and it's bullseye! Othertimes you know you've just wasted $25.00. It's all part of the game.

I have a Yamaha BBN5 II, and I like the sound of light guage Dean Markley Blue Steels. Nice, balanced, and not too bright.

Good luck,
    Mike J.